Mar 15, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT
Thinking of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry as the Cold War, this little episode doesn’t exactly rank up there with the formation of the Warsaw Pact or the Cuban Missile Crisis. As far as provocations go it’s somewhere between Lyndon Johnson sending the Marines to the Dominican Republic to fight communists in 1965 and the North Koreans capturing the U.S.S. Pueblo.
Wait, it’s not even on that level. This is more Nikita Koloff’s face-turn to join forces with Dusty Rhodes against his Uncle Ivan and Krusher Khrushchev.
This will all be more fully explained when my nine-volume history of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry comes out next year. It will be turned into a documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman. True story.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)