Mar 15, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT
Thinking of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry as the Cold War, this little episode doesn’t exactly rank up there with the formation of the Warsaw Pact or the Cuban Missile Crisis. As far as provocations go it’s somewhere between Lyndon Johnson sending the Marines to the Dominican Republic to fight communists in 1965 and the North Koreans capturing the U.S.S. Pueblo.
Wait, it’s not even on that level. This is more Nikita Koloff’s face-turn to join forces with Dusty Rhodes against his Uncle Ivan and Krusher Khrushchev.
This will all be more fully explained when my nine-volume history of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry comes out next year. It will be turned into a documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman. True story.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)