Mar 15, 2010, 5:46 PM EST
Lou Piniella revealed a few tidbits this afternoon, most notably that Mike Fontenot has a leg up on Jeff Baker as the Cubs’ starting second baseman.
“Right now, as we speak, I think that Fontenot has probably jumped ahead a little in the second base slot,” Piniella told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. “It hasn’t been finalized, but that’s the way I view it right now.”
Piniella also said that Ryan Theriot will serve as the Cubs’ leadoff man against both right-handers and left-handers, with Kosuke Fukudome hitting second against righties.
Sullivan notes that “Fukudome will sit against lefties and someone else will move into the No. 2 hole,” but it isn’t clear yet who’ll get that assignment because presumed platoon partner Xavier Nady may not be healthy enough to play the outfield early on. Other options include Jeff Baker and Kevin Millar.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)