Mar 15, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
And now the latest from the world of pitchers who people kinda thought were good a few years ago:
- Kris Benson has signed with the Diamondbacks. It’s a minor league deal. If he makes the club he’ll get $650,000 plus games-started incentives. This is obviously Brandon Webb insurance. Which is probably a better situation for Benson than signing a minor league deal elsewhere (the Nats were vaguely interested a few weeks ago). With Webb likely starting the season on the DL he stands a good chance of making the team and getting a chance to audition for a another job if and when the Dbacks are done with him; also
- The Nationals have released Ron Villone. Between this and the Eddie
GuerreroGuardado thing (sorry; wrestling on the mind today), it’s been a rough week for ancient lefties in Nats camp. Villone, you no doubt recall, was named in the Mitchell Report and famously refused to respond to the allegations. No doubt the Nats’ decision to release him was based on part of the ongoing “Ron Villone must come clean” media circus.
Wow, quite a day for journeyman pitchers. We’re one Jarrod Washburn rumor away from a palooka trifecta! Zoinks!
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)