Mar 15, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Kerry Wood was scratched from his scheduled appearance Saturday with a sore right lat muscle, but the Indians quickly announced Sunday that he was already back on track and would be able to throw a bullpen session today followed by game action Wednesday.
Unfortunately, those plans have changed. Wood did not throw a bullpen session today and manager Manny Acta seemed unsure about when the Indians’ closer would be ready to pitch again:
We’re going to take it easy with Kerry. The medical staff will put together a plan for him. We want to be careful. He’s our closer. He has plenty of time to get ready, and there’s no reason to rush him back out there.
Wood’s injury was initially dismissed as merely “spring training soreness” by the Indians, but obviously there’s something else going on at this point. As beat reporter Anthony Castrovince wrote as the lead to his MLB.com story: “It could be something, it could be nothing.”
All of which is why 24-year-old setup man and potential closer-in-waiting Chris Perez is one of my fantasy “sleeper” picks for AL-only leagues.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)