Yikes! Sheets Shelled

Mar 15, 2010, 4:40 PM EST

Don’t pay attention to spring training stats, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda, but it’s probably worth noting that Ben Sheets just got knocked out of the game against the Reds. His line: 10 runs, 8 hits, 1 walk, no one retired. Repeat: no one retired.

Of course, only nine of those runs were earned so it was, like, a totally deceiving line.

1. Omega in Colorado - Mar 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Now, I ain’t no mathematician or nothin’, but I do believe that makes his ERA = Infinity. At least it is still Spring Training.

2. YANKEES1996 - Mar 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM

For the sake of coughing, wheezing and gagging, their paying him how much!!

3. Joey B - Mar 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Like so many other stats in the world, they don’t operate in a vacuum. I don’t really care about Pedroia and Youk’s stats. I do care about Papi, Buchholz, and few higher rated minor leaguers. I’d like to see Dice’s stats, should he ever get some.
    Some guys you worry about, most you don’t. Injured guys are the ones you worry about most. I wouldn’t cut Sheets from a deep league, but I would listen to offers, and I would be extremely interested in his next start.

4. Grammar Police - Mar 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM

“their paying him how much!!”
    They’re. Not their. And if you need to insult me, it’s you’re, not your.

5. APBA Guy - Mar 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Time for hysterics! $ 10M down the drain.
    Seriously, did anyone have the A’s at anyplace other than last in the AL West?
    So if Sheets really is a bust, what happens? The A’s are “more” last?
    Now everyone, repeat after me:
    “The A’s have no offense. No Offense.”
    Besides, if Sheets is really great, he has a 1 year deal and next year someone else pays him $ 75M, which the A’s won’t. So he’ll be gone in July one way or the other. Like Matt Holliday.

6. emac2 - Mar 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM

What if I was to say something about YOUR mother?

7. Grammar Police - Mar 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM

“What if I was to say something about YOUR mother?”
    Then I’d expect some exotic spelling, something like you’r.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester