Mar 16, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Derek Lowe was absolutely dominant last night, retiring every batter he faced save one who reached on an error, striking out six and inducing five groundouts. This (a) gives me hope that his little toe blister problem is past him; and (b) bolsters my belief that he’s poised for a bounce back season. Then I realize that the performance came against a Nats team that is now 0-11 in spring training play and that optimism is tempered somewhat.
I wish someone could tell me which spring training stats matter and which ones don’t. I’m gettin’ all itchy for the results of baseball games to matter again.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 38
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)