Mar 16, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Derek Lowe was absolutely dominant last night, retiring every batter he faced save one who reached on an error, striking out six and inducing five groundouts. This (a) gives me hope that his little toe blister problem is past him; and (b) bolsters my belief that he’s poised for a bounce back season. Then I realize that the performance came against a Nats team that is now 0-11 in spring training play and that optimism is tempered somewhat.
I wish someone could tell me which spring training stats matter and which ones don’t. I’m gettin’ all itchy for the results of baseball games to matter again.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)