Mar 16, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Derek Lowe was absolutely dominant last night, retiring every batter he faced save one who reached on an error, striking out six and inducing five groundouts. This (a) gives me hope that his little toe blister problem is past him; and (b) bolsters my belief that he’s poised for a bounce back season. Then I realize that the performance came against a Nats team that is now 0-11 in spring training play and that optimism is tempered somewhat.
I wish someone could tell me which spring training stats matter and which ones don’t. I’m gettin’ all itchy for the results of baseball games to matter again.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20