Derek Lowe shuts down the Nats

Mar 16, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

Derek Lowe was absolutely dominant last night, retiring every batter he faced save one who reached on an error, striking out six and inducing five groundouts. This (a) gives me hope that his little toe blister problem is past him; and (b) bolsters my belief that he’s poised for a bounce back season. Then I realize that the performance came against a Nats team that is now 0-11 in spring training play and that optimism is tempered somewhat.

I wish someone could tell me which spring training stats matter and which ones don’t.  I’m gettin’ all itchy for the results of baseball games to matter again.

1. KLB - Mar 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Capitol Avenue Club found that line to be eerily similar to a year ago – http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=2328

2. Old Gator - Mar 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I hope by that you mean Braves stats. Gnats stats aren’t going to matter until sabremetrics is replaced by quantum mechanics for calculating what goes on on a baseball field.
    On the other hand, it’s knowing that the Gnats are in our division that gives me hope that the Feesh will avoid the cellar this year. I know a number of pandits have said the Feesh are within “striking distance” of the playoffs this year, but with that halfassed bullpen of theirs, they’re going to be lucky to make it past that Jerry Lewis Telethon up in Flushing this season.

3. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Mar 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM

In keeping with the spirit of cheap shots, bounce-back is a compound modifier.

4. ecp - Mar 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM

It’s easy, Craig. The spring stats that you WANT to matter are the ones that matter (example: Derek Lowe last night). The stats you want to forget about don’t (example: how Ben Sheets feels about his ERA).

5. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Fair enough, Wooden. And I expect you to keep me at least arguably honest on the Nats again this year. I may ignore your attempts like the irresponsible Braves fan/non-Braves NL East team hater that I am, but I’ll appreciate your efforts all the same. ;-)

6. enough already - Mar 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM

“In keeping with the spirit of cheap shots.” Feels cruddy, don’t it, Craig. I’m Just saying, you know, now that Jeff Francoeur is the face of the Mets.

7. Jonny5 - Mar 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM

The Braves seem like they’ll be 2nd place in the NL east this season. Of course they’ll also be 10 games behind Philly, but 2nd nonetheless. ;>P

8. Old Gator - Mar 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM

The Feelies do seem like a lock. Unless they’re involved in a team bus rollover, or the same guy who spiked the Tylenol thirty years ago comes back and contaminates the horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches with E.coli or Pfiesteria gets into the water supply at the stadium, I don’t see anyone knocking them off this year. The only beeg question mark seems to me to be the closer. Aside from that, this year’s Borg can be taken down and overall, this seems like the team to do it. I will be watching Seattle, though. That’s going to be a very different team this year.

9. Jonny5 - Mar 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM

LMAO!!! Yes Seattle is looking real good, that’s if they can keep M.B. and his big mouth in check. I say it won’t be long before he’s telling off Wakamatsu and claiming Seattle is even more racist than Chicago is. But You know Gator, anything can happen in the playoffs. I remember it wasn’t more than 2 seasons ago where Chicago was the NL shoo in for the pennant. And Baaaahhhhston was going to lead the AL. Well, that year the Rays flipped everyone out by taking it. And Phillies fans got what they saw coming regardless of EVERYONE ELSE first going from picking Chicago, then after they were blown out by LA,they picked LA. Blah blah blah. The rest is history. I just loved Hearing the depression of Buck and McCarthy when they finally realised Philly was going to take it from LA.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5260)