Mar 16, 2010, 1:41 AM EDT
The Oakland A’s pulled off one of the shockers of the offseason when they signed free agent pitcher Ben Sheets to a one-year, $10 million deal. While many thought the A’s overpaid for the talented (yet oft-injured) pitcher who missed all of 2009, there were also some good feelings that a small-market club could outbid its richer competitors for a notable talent.
After today, those good feelings flew right out the window, as Sheets allowed 10 runs without getting an out in a 13-5 loss to the Reds. Sheets allowed eight hits and a walk, and also committed an error. “It was a bad one,” Sheets understated.
The “good” news is Sheets said he felt good, and that an earlier spring start in which he allowed six runs against the White Sox was, in his mind, actually worse.
A’s manager Bob Geren maintained a positive attitude after the game. And why wouldn’t he? After all, it’s not his $10 million.
“He definitely threw the ball better this time,” Geren said. “The results weren’t there. It’s the best he’s thrown since he’s been here. I’ll stay encouraged that way. This guy’s an All-Star. He didn’t like his performance. I’m not worried about his ego.”
Geren also said that he thinks Britney Spears’ music is getting better with every album, and that he’s encouraged by the signs he sees in California’s economy.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)