Mar 16, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Turner Sports announced that John Smoltz has joined the TBS broadcast team as an analyst for their Sunday afternoon games and select Braves games.
Smoltz joins a lineup of color commentators that includes Ron Darling, Buck Martinez, David Wells, and Dennis Eckersley, with Ernie Johnson, Brian Anderson, and Dick Stockton filling play-by-play duties. Chip Caray’s name is nowhere to be seen, thankfully.
On the surface the new gig seemingly means Smoltz is retiring, but he talked previously about wanting to join a team at midseason if he plays in 2010 and it’s possible that the announcing job is just something to do while passing the time (or a way to gauge whether he’s truly ready to call it quits).
Smoltz was terrible after signing with the Red Sox last season, getting released after going 2-5 with an 8.32 ERA in eight starts, but then had a 4.26 ERA and excellent 40/9 K/BB ratio in seven starts after joining the Cardinals.
His overall ERA was ugly, but his 73/18 K/BB ratio in 78 innings overall and strong stretch-run performance certainly suggest that he’s still capable of getting big-league hitters out as a back-of-the-rotation starter or reliever. And if not he’ll probably be making a speech in Cooperstown five years from now.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)