Mar 16, 2010, 12:43 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie has been sidelined for the past four days because of a so-called “mystery” illness that sapped his energy and accelerated his heart rate.
He underwent a stress test and various blood work yesterday and has apparently been cleared of anything serious, with Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reporting that he “could resume some activities today.”
“Hopefully what ends up happening is he was just sick and didn’t tolerate it real well,” manager Terry Francona said. “I don’t think you can be too careful.”
Between last year’s wrist problems and his current health issues things certainly haven’t been easy for Lowrie, but he remains the heavy favorite to be the Red Sox’s primary backup infielder.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17