Mar 16, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
John Smoltz was forced into the broadcast booth, but everyone’s favorite Knight of the Netherlands/problem drinker/starting pitcher, Sidney Ponson, has landed a job. He has signed a deal with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League. OK, I suppose they would have taken Smoltz over Ponson if the former would have made himself available, but the point is that Ponson will be throwing live pitches this spring and Smoltz won’t be, and there’s something wrong with that on a cosmic level.
Is this the beginning of Sidney Ponson’s epic comeback? Fans of all 30 teams certainly hope not.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 41
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)