Mar 16, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Update: Alex Speier of WEEI.com passes along a statement from the team:
Following the five-hour procedure, Westmoreland remains in the intensive
care unit but has come through the surgery well. Due to the complexity
of this surgery, Ryan will face a difficult period initially before
beginning his recovery.
7:54 PM: According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, 19-year-old Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland underwent brain surgery on Tuesday.
Westmoreland, who was selected by Boston in the fifth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, was diagnosed with a cavernous malformation of the brain earlier this month, a potentially life-threatening condition. A source within the Red Sox organization tells Edes that the surgery “went well,” although a complete prognosis will not be known for a few days.
Over the winter, the young Rhode Island native was named as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America, but to be honest, the mere mention of anything baseball-related seems pretty trivial right now. Let’s just hope he makes a full recovery.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?