Mar 16, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Update: Alex Speier of WEEI.com passes along a statement from the team:
Following the five-hour procedure, Westmoreland remains in the intensive
care unit but has come through the surgery well. Due to the complexity
of this surgery, Ryan will face a difficult period initially before
beginning his recovery.
7:54 PM: According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, 19-year-old Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland underwent brain surgery on Tuesday.
Westmoreland, who was selected by Boston in the fifth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, was diagnosed with a cavernous malformation of the brain earlier this month, a potentially life-threatening condition. A source within the Red Sox organization tells Edes that the surgery “went well,” although a complete prognosis will not be known for a few days.
Over the winter, the young Rhode Island native was named as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America, but to be honest, the mere mention of anything baseball-related seems pretty trivial right now. Let’s just hope he makes a full recovery.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)