Mar 16, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Update: Alex Speier of WEEI.com passes along a statement from the team:
Following the five-hour procedure, Westmoreland remains in the intensive
care unit but has come through the surgery well. Due to the complexity
of this surgery, Ryan will face a difficult period initially before
beginning his recovery.
7:54 PM: According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, 19-year-old Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland underwent brain surgery on Tuesday.
Westmoreland, who was selected by Boston in the fifth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, was diagnosed with a cavernous malformation of the brain earlier this month, a potentially life-threatening condition. A source within the Red Sox organization tells Edes that the surgery “went well,” although a complete prognosis will not be known for a few days.
Over the winter, the young Rhode Island native was named as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America, but to be honest, the mere mention of anything baseball-related seems pretty trivial right now. Let’s just hope he makes a full recovery.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)