Mar 16, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Update: Alex Speier of WEEI.com passes along a statement from the team:
Following the five-hour procedure, Westmoreland remains in the intensive
care unit but has come through the surgery well. Due to the complexity
of this surgery, Ryan will face a difficult period initially before
beginning his recovery.
7:54 PM: According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, 19-year-old Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland underwent brain surgery on Tuesday.
Westmoreland, who was selected by Boston in the fifth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, was diagnosed with a cavernous malformation of the brain earlier this month, a potentially life-threatening condition. A source within the Red Sox organization tells Edes that the surgery “went well,” although a complete prognosis will not be known for a few days.
Over the winter, the young Rhode Island native was named as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America, but to be honest, the mere mention of anything baseball-related seems pretty trivial right now. Let’s just hope he makes a full recovery.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (200)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)