Who is the face of your franchise?

Mar 16, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT

Stuff like this post — looking at all the preseason annuals like Sporting News and Athlon, and determining whether their choices of the face of each franchise as evidenced by the cover photos they use makes rational sense — is why I keep Wezen-Ball bookmarked and you should too.

Anyone can tell you who won and who lost yesterday. Wezen-Ball tells you interesting stuff  that you had no idea that you really needed to know until after you read it.

1. BC - Mar 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I immediately discredit that site in seeing that Jeff Francoeur was mentioned for the Mets.

2. ralphdibny - Mar 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM

When I was a kid, Rick Mahler pitched every Opening Day. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

3. BC - Mar 16, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Post Title Epic Spelling Fail.

4. lar @ wezen-ball - Mar 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Craig. Always nice to read.
    And, BC, don’t blame me for Franceour! I was just reporting what Lindy’s put in their magazine. Believe me, Jeff Francoeur would never be my idea of the face of any franchise… not even the Mets!

5. Old Gator - Mar 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Billy the Marlin (aka the Billy Thing) is the only legitimate face of the Feesh, although frankly I would rather have the one from the album cover of Captain Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica. Billy’s is, may Buddha be merciful to us, the only face we may be reasonably assured will still be there in the morning. Any morning. And lest you think that Billy is immune to the plague of salary dumps that passes for fiscal ecology at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium, guess again: Scrooge McLoria fired the original Billy-suit inhabitant some years back because he could get a guy to do it cheaper. Really. Kinda like when Bob Crandall had the black olive slices eliminated from the salads they used to serve on American Airlines, for a net savings of $68,000 per year. No, no one is safe, not even the Billy-drone. However, Billy itself persists in a strange state of death-in-life regardless. It survived a McLoria-Chihuahua salary purge in Macondo! Reminds me of the conversation between the Japanese security officials and Dr. Yamane in Godzilla (1954, pre-Raymond Burr intrustion). They told the old doc that they were looking for a way to kill the big G (who, like Billy, was also some underpaid guy in an ugly suit) and Yamene replied, “No, it’s impossible. He survived an H-bomb test! What do you think could kill him?” Sobering thoughts for anyone who contemplates pushing the Billy-thing offstage in Macondo.

6. Ralph Kramden - Mar 17, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I’m shocked to find that Dustin Pedroia isn’t the “face” of the Red Sox. But some of the folks around here find Jacoby Ellsbury to be McDreamy in a baseball suit.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3501)