Mar 17, 2010, 6:48 PM EST
Cliff Lee has been suspended for five games and fined an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing at Chris Snyder’s head during Monday’s game against the Diamondbacks. Seems a bit on the harsh side to me. I’m no fan of headhunting, but he didn’t hit him and I don’t recall Lee ever getting in trouble over this sort of thing before.
Of course Lee will likely appeal, if precedent holds the suspension will be dropped to three games, and then Lee really won’t have missed a turn in the rotation. And hey, possible benefit: instead of starting the season against his opponents’ number one or number two starter, he’ll face an overmatched three or four.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)