Mar 17, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
From the Department of Stuff You Never Expected a Few Months Ago comes Carlos Silva: starting pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. Looks like it’s gonna happen, as Silva threw four scoreless innings yesterday. In fact, he hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven innings.
Ted Lilly’s injury is obviously a contributor here, but between the presence of Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall and Tom Gorzelanny, and the inescapable vortex of suck that has been Carlos Silva the past couple of years, most people probably wouldn’t have bet on Silva taking the mound to start a game in 2010.
Well, his mom might have. And if you believe this article from the Sun Times, the presence of his mom has a little something to do with how well Silva’s been pitching lately. Awwww.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 70
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)