Mar 17, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
From the Department of Stuff You Never Expected a Few Months Ago comes Carlos Silva: starting pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. Looks like it’s gonna happen, as Silva threw four scoreless innings yesterday. In fact, he hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven innings.
Ted Lilly’s injury is obviously a contributor here, but between the presence of Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall and Tom Gorzelanny, and the inescapable vortex of suck that has been Carlos Silva the past couple of years, most people probably wouldn’t have bet on Silva taking the mound to start a game in 2010.
Well, his mom might have. And if you believe this article from the Sun Times, the presence of his mom has a little something to do with how well Silva’s been pitching lately. Awwww.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)