Mar 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EST
Last week Derrick Turnbow’s big toe “exploded” into “a bloody mess” before he took the mound, yet he still threw a bullpen session moments later because … well, that’s what you do when you’re trying to salvage your career on a minor-league contract.
Unfortunately his comeback attempt hit another snag yesterday when Turnbow’s shoulder began hurting more than usual and this morning the Marlins released the 32-year-old former All-Star.
“More than likely I’ll try to have surgery and get it fixed,” Turnbow told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. “Unless it is something that is just going to take forever to come back.”
Turnbow hasn’t been healthy and effective since saving 39 games with a 1.74 ERA for the Brewers as a 27-year-old in 2005, so he can probably take his sweet time coming back. He barely pitched in 2008, was out of the majors completely last season, and has the worst career walk rate among all active pitchers.
If this isn’t the end of the line, he can probably see it from where he’s standing (or sitting, if that exploding toe is still an issue).
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (116)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)