Mar 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Last week Derrick Turnbow’s big toe “exploded” into “a bloody mess” before he took the mound, yet he still threw a bullpen session moments later because … well, that’s what you do when you’re trying to salvage your career on a minor-league contract.
Unfortunately his comeback attempt hit another snag yesterday when Turnbow’s shoulder began hurting more than usual and this morning the Marlins released the 32-year-old former All-Star.
“More than likely I’ll try to have surgery and get it fixed,” Turnbow told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. “Unless it is something that is just going to take forever to come back.”
Turnbow hasn’t been healthy and effective since saving 39 games with a 1.74 ERA for the Brewers as a 27-year-old in 2005, so he can probably take his sweet time coming back. He barely pitched in 2008, was out of the majors completely last season, and has the worst career walk rate among all active pitchers.
If this isn’t the end of the line, he can probably see it from where he’s standing (or sitting, if that exploding toe is still an issue).
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)