Mar 17, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
You can blame/thank the Reds for all the green you see in teams’ uniforms today. It was them — or more specifically, their GM Dick Wagner — who started the tradition in 1978. While it went over pretty well, the initial reactions were fun:
After workouts, the Reds dragged their perspiring bodies off the field
and retreated to the clubhouse — closed, uncharacteristically, to the
media — took a look and then did a double-take at their lockers …
green uniforms hanging in front of each.
“Did we get traded to Oakland?” catcher Johnny Bench asked.
Shortstop Davey Concepcion squinted at his green No. 13 uniform and said, “I’m not wearing that. I’m Venezuelan, not Irish.”
I’m usually opposed to messing with uniforms too much, but I’ve always liked the green-on-St. Patrick’s Day thing. It’s spring training, and spring training is casual. It looks good. And besides, it’s so much nicer than the the more historically-accurate St. Patrick’s Day tradition they used to do at the ballpark: having ushers go through the stands converting all the pagans.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)