Scout: Joe Mauer will be the next Yankees catcher

Mar 17, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Reporters like to talk to scouts before games. They’re more available than front office people, usually just sitting out in the stands or walking around the ballpark before games. They’re less guarded, too. Like the reporter they’re kind of out there on their own on the road a lot, and when you engage them they’re eager to share. Share stuff like this, which one scout told the Daily News’ Bill Madden:

“But in my opinion the next catcher for the Yankees will be Joe Mauer. Imagine if the Twins don’t sign him and he goes out there on the market next winter with both the Yankees and Red Sox
in need of a catcher? That will be the wildest bidding war in baseball
history, and don’t think his agent doesn’t know it. And if they (Twins)
decide to trade him, the Yankees have the better pieces to get him.”

Not that everything scouts say is stuff you want to hear.

1. Michael MN - Mar 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM

If Mauer does not sign this year, then yeah, he may go to the one team Fantasy League known as the NY Yankees. I think he would lose a lot of local cred if he did that (depending on how good a publicity team he had cranked up). I don’t think he would like to come home to Minnesota to a standing ovation of Boos.
    Another reason for Mauer to re-sign now is simply the vagrancies of any sport. An extension now would guarantee Millions – playing through the season though, any number of things can happen, injuries, back problems, or simply a really bad year. As a Minnesota fan, I hope he takes the money and stays.

2. Peter - Mar 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Cool. I just set myself on fire. Craig, you owe me a new shirt.

3. HeadHunter - Mar 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM

The Yankees and the Redsox represent what’s wrong with America today.

4. Indians Fan - Mar 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Of course that’s right but this year the Indians are hoping to sell 9,000 season tickets. A few years ago it was 27,000. It is having an effect.

5. FringeDivision - Mar 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Hereeeeee’s Jonny.crying his eyes out because the best player in MLB, will opt to play for the 27 time, World Series Champions, the Legendary New York Yankees. When it comes time, the Yankees will crack open the YES Network Bottomless Bank Vault, and award Joe Mauer with a 10 year, $300 Million Dollar or more contract, then turn their sights on the Future first ballot Hall of Famer Andy’Clutch”Pettitte’s replacement when they again tap the vault and sign Clifford Lee to a$150 Million Dollar 5-6 year contract, and topping off with the signing of Carl Crawford to play Left Field for the Yankees. Jonny, just face the facts, every single MLB player will do anything to wear the Legendary Yankees Pinstripes, cause they know, there is NO other Professional Sports Franchise that try to win a Championship year in and year out, and they know, that the Legendary New York Yankees is the best place to make a little boys dream come true! GO YANKEES!!!

6. YANKEES1996 - Mar 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Everyone should relax I don’t think that Joe Mauer is going to be playing for the Yanks. Now don’t get me wrong as a Yankees fan I would love to see him in New York but I just don’t think the Twins are going to let their hometown gem getaway. It is true that every player with considerable talent at least is talked to by the Yankees, but they don’t all wind up in the Bronx. If you were the player you would want to go where you would make the most money, right? If the Twins trade Mauer during the season it will most likely take a huge offering to get him then you will have to offer him a huge contract. He could wind up with the Yanks but I think the Twins are going to surprise some people and do what it takes to resign him long term, like the Cardinals did with Holliday.

7. William Miller - Mar 17, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hey Old Gator,I first heard the word “Borg” when it was on Star Trek: The Next Generation,and now,your using it? Were you a kid like me when you saw that,or were you an adult when you saw that?I’m just asking.

8. Old Gator - Mar 17, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I was an avid fan as a kid and rekindled my romance with the show years later when the sublime Wrath of Kahn hit the big screen. I’ve always been a sucker for pop metaphysics, especially when they reference Herman Melville a lot. I began to lose interest in the endless iterations of the films, and never really hooked into the show once Patrick Stewart (whom I had previously seen in a bunch of Royal Shakespeare Company productions in England and as Sejanus in the Masterpiece Theater production of I Claudius) was no longer onscreen. Mainly, I think, because he took Counselor Troi with him.
    But the Borg – now there’s a metaphor for evil that will last as long as there are pinstripes, you know?

9. LarryLongBeach - Mar 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Okay, Perpetually Outraged, I admit,I overstated my point. I brought up too many names and didn’t stick to the facts.
    So I’ll boil it down…the two best hitter and the two best pitchers on the Yankees were flat out purchased because they spend money like water. No other team would/could(?) have A-Rod, Tex, CC and AJ simply by spending on them. And those guys are the biggest reasons teh Yankees won a title.
    So, while I don’t necessarily fault them because the rules are what they are…to completely dismiss anyone who says “The Yankees buy pennants” as simply spitting a tired refrain is, in and of itself, a tired refrain of its own.

10. ClementeLegend - Mar 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Holy crap. I can’t believe Craig– and everyone else– missed out on what was REALLY wrong about that scout’s comment.
    He said that Mauer would end up a Yankee, but not just for money reasons, if he were to arrive in the Bronx via a trade… the scout said that the Yankees “have the better pieces to get him.”
    WHAT ?!?
    How do the Yankees have better pieces than the Red Sox to acquire Mauer? This scout needs to take stock of organizational farm systems. Cashman talks a good game, but has yet to turn out a player development machine like Theo Epstein.

11. CommonSense - Mar 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM

1) Let’s not forget the 2004 Red Sox were the biggest bunch of mercenaries this side of baseball – so any spewage from Sox fans about the getting of FA needs some tempering. 2) Mauer has the right to sign anywhere he wants. He CAN refuse the offers from the Sox and Yanks and accept a slightly lesser offer from the TWINS to stay if he really prefers. But in the end, if he chases the almighty dollar, then how is it the Yankees fault? If I remember correctly, Mr. Henry rakes in almost as much $$ as the Steinbrenners (tic prices at Fenway continue to rise along with his businesses outside of baseball), and the Pohlads are also about 100 times richer than the Steins or the Henry’s so there really is no excuse for the TWINS to lose him. I suspect in the end, Mauer will stay a TWIN with the team paying him until he’s 80 with deferred money.

12. common sense - Mar 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Or a new administration at the front office?
    You won’t get anywhere when your own team isn’t willing to pony up for top players. Thanks to no salary cap, the twins have tremendously improved their organization by being forced to compete “with the big boys.”
    Cry me a river.

13. ClementeLegend - Mar 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM

hahaha
    Joe Mauer will never be a Yankee! This is definitely the best day for baseball since the Yankees choked a 3 game lead in the 2004 ALCS.

14. Spice - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM

NOT

15. Ralphieboy - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Of course he’s gonna end up a Yankee – and the ludicrous, off the chart contract he just signed is a big part of that. You think the Twinkies are gonna pay all 8 years of that contract, and expect to keep a winner on the field? Really? With what money?
    This is the A-Rod situation all over again. Player from a smaller market signs HUGE contract. Team cant afford it. Gets rid of superstar & contract to the only team that CAN afford it – the YANKEES!
    Ohhhh yeah – Mauer will be a Yankee soon enough, perhaps halfway through the 8 years at the latest. The Twins will get a bunch of prospects/decent role players in return, perhaps a minor star or two, whatever package is available & makes the most sense at the time.

16. MK - Mar 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Funny how us Jays fans heard all last year that Doc would end up a Yankee. Or a Sox. Saw how that one worked out.
    Nice to see that Mauer made a good choice.

17. dbs - Mar 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM