Mar 17, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
It’s a big release day today because if players without guaranteed contracts are cut today they can be disposed of with 30-days’ termination pay as opposed to a full year’s salary. That may have had something to do with Elijah Dukes’ thing, of course. It’s also why the White Sox just cut Daniel Cabrera.
Daniel Cabrera is not a significant figure in baseball history, but he’s one that I’ve spent more time thinking about than I probably should have. That’s what happens when you’re a pitching junkie like I am and you encounter a guy with outrageously good stuff but who has no idea where the ball is going. I had figured that maybe he’d have a shot to make a team now that he’s on board with becoming a reliever, but it’s just not happening. Probably never should have figured it would.
Mid-90s fastball, great raw stuff, and all he has to show for it is a 48-64 record and 5.10 ERA
in 154 career starts. Pitching is hard.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)