Mar 17, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
If you’ve ever wondered what Bill James looks like, sounds like, and thinks like, check out the video of Geoff Baker from the Seattle Times interviewing him for over an hour yesterday.
Some really interesting stuff, including James’ thoughts on the current state of sabermetrics (a word he literally invented), the Mariners’ chances this season, Edgar Martinez’s case for the Hall of Fame, and what the next frontier in baseball analysis might be.
James often comes across as introverted, particularly on camera, but Baker did a nice job turning the show into more of a conversation than an interview and I actually watched the whole thing live from start to finish.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)