Mar 18, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
The Chicago Cubs are cursed? I think not.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the Arizona House of Representatives has approved a measure to raise money to keep the Cubs from moving to Florida and to “generate more than $100 million for improvements to facilities across the Valley over the next 30 years.”
Arizona Rep. John McComish, R-Phoenix, is pushing the surcharge in House Bill 2736, despite opposition from the other Cactus League teams.
The original plan would raise $81 million over 25 years and included a $1 car rental fee and an 8 percent Spring Training ticket surcharge. McComish dropped the car rental fee and boosted the ticket surcharge to 10 percent in hopes of raising $185 million over 30 years.
The plan now goes to the Senate, with more negotiations on the way. The rest of the Cactus League teams are against the plan, which is understandable. I wouldn’t want to be taxed to help my neighbor build a new house. They can move to Florida for all I care.
But then again, it’s also a little shortsighted. After all, my neighbors don’t do anything to help me make money. The same can’t be said of the Cubbies, who are the top draw in Arizona and according to one study, bring in $138 million annually to the local economy. According to Muskat’s story, nine of the top 10 attended Cactus League games have been Cubs games.
So what’s good for the Cubs, is good for all the teams in Arizona. You think the Grapefruit League would let the Yankees leave? Didn’t think so.
Then again, the Cubs are one of the top money-making teams in the majors, so maybe they should build their own stadium. Like that will ever happen.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)