Mar 18, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Brad Lidge told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he was “pretty pleased” with his 16-pitch appearance in a minor-league game this afternoon, but also admitted afterward that he’s unlikely to be ready for Opening Day following offseason knee and elbow surgeries:
It’s going to be really tough to be ready for the opener. In my mind I’m still shooting for it, but I don’t know if that’s realistic. … I want to be out there as much as I can, but we’ve got a deep bullpen. Obviously, we’ve got guys that can get it down while J.C. [Romero] and I are getting our arm speed back.
If we were on a bubble team and we had to be ready from Day 1 that’s one thing, but I think our team can cover just about anybody at any position for a week or two. That’s the fortunate part of being on a team as good as us.
Lidge estimated that he’ll need to make nine more appearances before being ready for the season and pegged the April 9-11 series against Houston as a more realistic time frame for his debut. Ryan Madson is the favorite to fill the closer role in his absence, although the Phillies may also give Danys Baez some ninth-inning duties after signing him to a two-year, $5.25 deal in January.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)