Mar 18, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Brad Lidge told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he was “pretty pleased” with his 16-pitch appearance in a minor-league game this afternoon, but also admitted afterward that he’s unlikely to be ready for Opening Day following offseason knee and elbow surgeries:
It’s going to be really tough to be ready for the opener. In my mind I’m still shooting for it, but I don’t know if that’s realistic. … I want to be out there as much as I can, but we’ve got a deep bullpen. Obviously, we’ve got guys that can get it down while J.C. [Romero] and I are getting our arm speed back.
If we were on a bubble team and we had to be ready from Day 1 that’s one thing, but I think our team can cover just about anybody at any position for a week or two. That’s the fortunate part of being on a team as good as us.
Lidge estimated that he’ll need to make nine more appearances before being ready for the season and pegged the April 9-11 series against Houston as a more realistic time frame for his debut. Ryan Madson is the favorite to fill the closer role in his absence, although the Phillies may also give Danys Baez some ninth-inning duties after signing him to a two-year, $5.25 deal in January.
- Report: Astros to acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 0
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 7
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)