Bradley ejected for what seems like a dumb reason

Mar 18, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Milton Bradley was ejected from the Mariners-Rangers game last night after taking a called strike three and then dropping his bat and taking off his batting gloves.  The video can be seen here

Don Wakamatsu protested, claiming that, to him anyway, it appeared as though Bradley, while a bit miffed, simply thought the inning was over. I’ve seen guys take off the gloves and drop the bat in that situation before. It’s not like Bradley argued or did anything else silly after the call. He picked the bat right up after he dropped it. My read of it was that he immediately realized that he was wrong about the number of outs. Not knowing how many outs there are in an inning is dumb, but you shouldn’t get ejected for being dumb.

This looks to me like an umpire spoiling for a fight with a guy with a history of reacting poorly to such things.

1. enough already - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yeah, now here, dumb is the right adjective all around.

2. Joey B - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I’ve explained that to my friends and my kids. Don’t get yourself in a position where you stop receiving the benefit of the doubt. It looks like an over-reaction from the ump, but he’s invited that type of reaction into his life.

3. Jonny5 - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM

LOL! Bradley lost count of outs again? Silly MB, he did that in Chicago as well didn’t he?. Anyway it does seem like major BS that he was tossed for that.

4. thisisbeth - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Bradley must have trouble counting. Last year at a Cubs/Twins game, he caught the ball for out number two, and threw it into the stands.

5. Blah Blah - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

First of all, history and respect go hand in hand.
    Second of all it wasnt an accident.
    Thirdly, no one likes to be “showed up”.
    Finally, a case can be made for being a professional ball player and not knowing the outs. However, for not being in control of yourself and the situation (Spring Training), take responsibility.
    Craig, take responsibility for calling it for what it is.

6. Ron - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Sorry to be the bad guy, but I have to disagree.
    First issue, this was the 3rd inning, so Bradley had batted once already, and we don’t know what was said or happend then.
    Second issue, Bradley tried to show up the ump. I’ve been calling games behind the plate for 30 years at various levels, and that was a deliberate show of contempt for the call. And yes, I can say that because I’ve seen it too many times.
    I’ve only every tossed one coach out of a game, because I understnd there are a lot of emotions on the field. But at any level, with any player, I would have given an immedate warning to the player about what he did, and he woudn’t get a second chance.
    So, not knowing what happend in the previous at bat, and not knowing what the previous history is with Bradley and this umpire (if Bradley’s had issue with him befoe, then he was on a short lease to start with), I’m going to side with the umpire and say he was within his rights.
    Bradley didn’t drop the bat. He pushed it to the ground. There is a huge difference in those two things, and before people start insulting me for saying that, they need to make sure they know what they are talking about. Because I do.

7. Nasty Boy - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM

He surprised me, I said he’d cause trouble before the season was over, hell that ignorant moron didn’t even wait til it got started. I don’t care how well he can play, I think the only place where he can relate might be prison. He would be in his rightful atmosphere. Again I feel sorry for Seattle , they were trying to get the players to make a run at the Angles, With this malcontent they don’t have a chance.

8. gary - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Ron, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. This umpire was wrong. As far as being “shown up” – sorry, dude, you and all other umpires who get obsessed with that just need to get over yourselves. Nobody bought tickets to see you, so you need to man up and not be such a megalomaniac.

9. Morgan W - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

“Not knowing how many outs there are in an inning is dumb, but you shouldn’t get ejected for being dumb.”
    Yes you should. Can this be included into the rules somehow?

10. Ron - Mar 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM

GAry, I’m not sure what I need to get over.
    As I said, in 30 years, I’ve ejected one coach, and that was it.
    By the way, I was expressing my constitutional right of freedom of speech. I’m not sure why you felt the need to attack me and insult me. If you disagree, just say so. But your comments say a lot more about your meglomania than something I don’t have.
    Bradley showed up the umpire, becaus of the strike call. By definition, arguing balls and strikes is against the rules and is an automatic ejection. Try reading the rulebook. Oh wait, that’s why there are umpires. To know what the rules are, and to interpret and enforce them.

11. Fail Less - Mar 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Experience does not equal expertise. Fail less.

12. IdahoMariner - Mar 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM

…or he could have been angry at himself for striking out. He didn’t argue it. And pushed it to the ground versus dropped it? Wow. Oh wait. “Showed up the umpire”. Yes, that makes it all clear. I think unless it’s clear, you just let it go. Arguing it, is clear. This wasn’t.

13. Ron - Mar 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I don’t know what that means.

14. Ron - Mar 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

How come no one can answer the two easy questions:
    1. Did anything happen in the previuos plate appearance? If you can’t answer that, you can’t blame the umpire any more than Bradley.
    2. Do they have a history? If you can’t answer that with a no, then you can’t blame the umpire any more than Bradley.
    The umpire might be wrong. But due to Bradley’s past, the burden of proof is on him, since the rulebook sides with the umpire.
    Every team has a batboy. Some have more than one. Considering his past, what kept Bradley from turning around and handing his bat and his gloves to the batboy? He had the option and chose not to. Why? Since, as Bradley says, all the umpires are out to get him, then he should be everything possible not to give them a reason.
    Add in the fact that he didn’t take his helmet off and drop it for the batboy, which a lot of players do, and start walking towards his posiiton shows me that the issue of not knowing the outs isn’t true. The players don’t go to the bench for their gloves and caps, someone alwasy brings them to them.
    Bradley’s story and actions don’t match the video I watched. So I”m going to side with the umpire, and say he was in the letter of the law, even if he did might have a quick trigger.
    But I guess that also brings us back to questions 1 and 2.

15. Michael - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Not to say the umpire wasn’t wrong here, but…
    I HATE when a player just drops his crap at the plate and lets the batboy pick it up. It’s a prima donna move (the player usually stands in the same spot while the batboy bends over at the player’s feet to pick up the items) and an insult to the hard working batboys. There’s ZERO extra effort or time involved in handing your helmet, bat and gloves to the damn batboy. You tuck your bat under your arm, remove your gloves, then exchange them for your cap and mitt – anyone uncoordinated enough to be unable to do that shouldn’t be playing baseball.
    If I ever manage a major-league team (and it is almost a lock that I will not), I would fine players for dropping their stuff at the plate (or first base) UNLESS they immediately turn and RUN to their position and wait to receive their cap and mitt there.

16. Ice - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Got nothing to add, just amusement at the anti-spam: “chillier name” ["Ice" is my actual last name.]

17. mt_hood_ms_fan - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM

ron, in milton’s first at bat he struck out swinging and did nothing but walk back to the dugout, and as far as if they have a history my best guess would be no, because from every source i’ve read this ump is not known in the bigs. the ump CLEARLY over-reacted in this case, granted milton has a history but tossing him over that is ridiculous.

18. Anon - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Ron, what does “showing up the ump” mean? I’m serious – I’ve heard the phrase for a long time but have never heard a satisfactory definition. Maybe, as a career ump, you can help me out with that.
    Also, you say Bradley was ejected for engaging in “a deliberate show of contempt for the call.” Is that the standard now? Because every person – player of manager – who argues, glares, looks cross-eyed, or pauses does the same thing. Should they all be ejected? If every player or manager who deliberately shows contempt for an umpire’s call gets ejected, we’re going to run out of players and managers really fast.

19. sjp - Mar 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Looks like another case of the ump thinking everything is about him (or his calls). Note to all umpires: many reactions by players have NOTHING to do with you. Are umpires egos so fragile that they think everything is an attempt to “show them up”? If you are a good ump, you are confident enough to ignore minor reactions by players. Your job is to be an arbiter, not to interject yourself into the game.

20. al - Mar 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM

as much as i dislike bradley, he definitely just thought there were 3 outs, and batters just drop the bat like that ALL THE TIME! (I think it’s more rude to the bat boy, not the ump!) The ump is obviously one of those guys that wasn’t good enough to play ball, so he umps cuz he’s on some power trip and takes everything personally. Kind of like a guy who’s too dumb to be a cop, so he becomes a career security guard, and thinks he’s more than just a receptionist. Ron is obviously the same type.

21. ThatRogue - Mar 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Why should his rightful atmosphere be prison? This is the same type of ridiculous overreaction that Milton is often guilty of. You can say his bad-boy behavior does not belong in baseball, but implying that he belongs in prison is a sad statement about your own mindset.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3185)