Mar 18, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Milton Bradley was ejected from the Mariners-Rangers game last night after taking a called strike three and then dropping his bat and taking off his batting gloves. The video can be seen here.
Don Wakamatsu protested, claiming that, to him anyway, it appeared as though Bradley, while a bit miffed, simply thought the inning was over. I’ve seen guys take off the gloves and drop the bat in that situation before. It’s not like Bradley argued or did anything else silly after the call. He picked the bat right up after he dropped it. My read of it was that he immediately realized that he was wrong about the number of outs. Not knowing how many outs there are in an inning is dumb, but you shouldn’t get ejected for being dumb.
This looks to me like an umpire spoiling for a fight with a guy with a history of reacting poorly to such things.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)