Mar 18, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Milton Bradley was ejected from the Mariners-Rangers game last night after taking a called strike three and then dropping his bat and taking off his batting gloves. The video can be seen here.
Don Wakamatsu protested, claiming that, to him anyway, it appeared as though Bradley, while a bit miffed, simply thought the inning was over. I’ve seen guys take off the gloves and drop the bat in that situation before. It’s not like Bradley argued or did anything else silly after the call. He picked the bat right up after he dropped it. My read of it was that he immediately realized that he was wrong about the number of outs. Not knowing how many outs there are in an inning is dumb, but you shouldn’t get ejected for being dumb.
This looks to me like an umpire spoiling for a fight with a guy with a history of reacting poorly to such things.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)