Mar 18, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Milton Bradley was ejected from the Mariners-Rangers game last night after taking a called strike three and then dropping his bat and taking off his batting gloves. The video can be seen here.
Don Wakamatsu protested, claiming that, to him anyway, it appeared as though Bradley, while a bit miffed, simply thought the inning was over. I’ve seen guys take off the gloves and drop the bat in that situation before. It’s not like Bradley argued or did anything else silly after the call. He picked the bat right up after he dropped it. My read of it was that he immediately realized that he was wrong about the number of outs. Not knowing how many outs there are in an inning is dumb, but you shouldn’t get ejected for being dumb.
This looks to me like an umpire spoiling for a fight with a guy with a history of reacting poorly to such things.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11