Buster Olney isn't letting the "internal conversations" thing go

Mar 18, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT

From his latest column:

The Cardinals have dropped hints that if Albert Pujols wants to become the game’s highest-paid player, it won’t be able to afford him, writes Joe Strauss within this Q and A.

That would be based on internal conversations.

Hee hee.

Oh, in that Q&A, Strauss says that he thinks that Pujols’ chances of staying with the Cardinals are “greater than 20 percent.”  Not exactly a confidence builder, is it?  Anyone? Anyone?

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

icwydt

2. Jonny5 - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Who didn’t see this a mile away anyway? I know they can’t keep him without at least trading Holliday, who seems to be playing prima donna right now in spring training. I honestly think Holliday being traded would be a better option for ST Louis. But that’s just me, and I’m nobody.

3. Ted - Mar 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Strauss is a notoriously bitter sports guy. If you follow him on twitter never expect a positive thing from him.

4. chris - Mar 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Funny how Olney leaves this follow-up comment by Strauss out of his column:
    “I’d say it’s 75-25 Albert remains a Cardinal for life. How’s that?”
    I guess that wouldn’t make good copy for the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

5. chris - Mar 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Funny how Olney leaves this follow-up comment by Strauss out of his column:
    “I’d say it’s 75-25 Albert remains a Cardinal for life. How’s that?”
    I guess that isn’t good copy for the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network. Pathetic.

6. The Ol' Goaler - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Albert remains under contract through the 2011 season… it’s my opinion (FWIW) that the Cards will do WHATEVER they have to to keep Albert in a Cardinals’ uniform for the rest of his career. Pujols puts fannies in the seats unlike anyone the Cardinals have had since Stan Musial (yes, even more than Gibby, Brock, and Ozzie).
    Strauss is a “glass half-empty” guy; his 75-25 guess (and that’s all it is) would be an 80-20 guess from a more sanguine writer…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey