Mar 18, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
That sound you hear is Aubrey Huff grinding his teeth in anxiety:
When spring training began, manager Bruce Bochy said
the 2008 first-round draft pick would take some grounders at first and
maybe play a few innings there. But the Giants are giving Posey a
longer look at first as they try to gauge what he can bring to the
25-man roster if he makes the team out of camp.
I like anything that gets Posey in the lineup as opposed to rotting on a bench like he did last season. But, as would be the case with anyone, his bat will have the least value at first base than anywhere else. The Giants should take OBP wherever they can get it, but Posey doesn’t have a ton of power. I worry that given the hidebound way that organization tends to view players and their roles, they’d consider Posey some sort of disappointment as a first baseman — first basemen hit home runs, after all! — while forgetting that he’d be an upgrade over Bengie Molina behind the plate.
But like all manner of other things today, I’m probably over thinking this. Finding a way to get Posey in the lineup is a good thing for the Giants, so good on them for trying to figure out a way to do that.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)