Mar 18, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
That sound you hear is Aubrey Huff grinding his teeth in anxiety:
When spring training began, manager Bruce Bochy said
the 2008 first-round draft pick would take some grounders at first and
maybe play a few innings there. But the Giants are giving Posey a
longer look at first as they try to gauge what he can bring to the
25-man roster if he makes the team out of camp.
I like anything that gets Posey in the lineup as opposed to rotting on a bench like he did last season. But, as would be the case with anyone, his bat will have the least value at first base than anywhere else. The Giants should take OBP wherever they can get it, but Posey doesn’t have a ton of power. I worry that given the hidebound way that organization tends to view players and their roles, they’d consider Posey some sort of disappointment as a first baseman — first basemen hit home runs, after all! — while forgetting that he’d be an upgrade over Bengie Molina behind the plate.
But like all manner of other things today, I’m probably over thinking this. Finding a way to get Posey in the lineup is a good thing for the Giants, so good on them for trying to figure out a way to do that.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)