Mar 18, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
That sound you hear is Aubrey Huff grinding his teeth in anxiety:
When spring training began, manager Bruce Bochy said
the 2008 first-round draft pick would take some grounders at first and
maybe play a few innings there. But the Giants are giving Posey a
longer look at first as they try to gauge what he can bring to the
25-man roster if he makes the team out of camp.
I like anything that gets Posey in the lineup as opposed to rotting on a bench like he did last season. But, as would be the case with anyone, his bat will have the least value at first base than anywhere else. The Giants should take OBP wherever they can get it, but Posey doesn’t have a ton of power. I worry that given the hidebound way that organization tends to view players and their roles, they’d consider Posey some sort of disappointment as a first baseman — first basemen hit home runs, after all! — while forgetting that he’d be an upgrade over Bengie Molina behind the plate.
But like all manner of other things today, I’m probably over thinking this. Finding a way to get Posey in the lineup is a good thing for the Giants, so good on them for trying to figure out a way to do that.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)