Mar 18, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
That sound you hear is Aubrey Huff grinding his teeth in anxiety:
When spring training began, manager Bruce Bochy said
the 2008 first-round draft pick would take some grounders at first and
maybe play a few innings there. But the Giants are giving Posey a
longer look at first as they try to gauge what he can bring to the
25-man roster if he makes the team out of camp.
I like anything that gets Posey in the lineup as opposed to rotting on a bench like he did last season. But, as would be the case with anyone, his bat will have the least value at first base than anywhere else. The Giants should take OBP wherever they can get it, but Posey doesn’t have a ton of power. I worry that given the hidebound way that organization tends to view players and their roles, they’d consider Posey some sort of disappointment as a first baseman — first basemen hit home runs, after all! — while forgetting that he’d be an upgrade over Bengie Molina behind the plate.
But like all manner of other things today, I’m probably over thinking this. Finding a way to get Posey in the lineup is a good thing for the Giants, so good on them for trying to figure out a way to do that.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 9
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 15
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)