Dontrelle Willis is probably going to make the Tigers' rotation

Mar 18, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT

Dontrelle Willis Tigers.JPGAmazing stuff from Tigers camp:  Armando Galarraga is optioned to Toledo. Dontrelle Willis today: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2K.  For the spring D-Train has allowed only five hits and one earned run in ten innings pitched.

A month ago, Willis said he was utterly lost. He called himself “terrible” and gave no indication that he was doing anything other than showing up to camp as his contract requires before silently bowing out of baseball.  Now? He could make the Tigers rotation.

Baseball is full of boring players. When he’s functioning properly, Dontrelle Willis is a joy to watch. I’m hoping like crazy he succeeds.

1. Mr. Fashionista - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM

The difference this year? His hat is on straight, not ass-clown crooked. It probably has positively affected his equilibrium.

2. Trevor B - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM

You know, I always hoped Willis would come back. This guy was always one of my favorite pitchers and he always had a good attitude about the game. Just watching this guy’s wind-up is incredible, I remember he was asked why he pitches the way he does and he just said that’s how he remembered watching his favorite pitchers throw when he grew up so he tried to follow them. Just a great guy.
    captcha: election eluded

3. egg man - Mar 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Best story of the spring if he makes it back. The game is better with him.

4. Jaymie D - Mar 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM

If he can hold up and display that he can pitch well for six innings straight — he could be really fun to watch this year. It would be nice to see a redemption story from a pretty good guy. I am a Tigers fan that has been disappointed with the lack of contribution from him, but I could easily forget the last two seasons if he could win 15 games for Detroit this year and keep his ERA down.

5. Matt in Toledo - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Well, he did throw 6.1 one-hit innings against Texas last year and that covered almost as many innings as he’s thrown this spring. As a Tiger fan, I’m certainly rooting for the guy to pull through. It’s just that it feels like we’ve been here before. I’ve told myself I’ll raise an eyebrow or two if he pitches well for what would be a normal start in the regular season.

6. Megary - Mar 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM

There aren’t a lot of mediocre pitchers I would take time out of my day to watch pitch. But D-Train would certainly be one of them.
    Absolutely a player you root for, regardless of his affiliation. Too bad he can’t hit anymore.

7. DETfaninATL - Mar 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I hope for both the Tiger’s sake and D-Train’s, that he’s able to make a comeback. That would be great for both. Everybody loves a comeback!

8. Old Gator - Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Watching him bat for the Feesh was half the fun of watching the Feesh, period. When he parked one in the stands and circled the bases his grin was so wide you wished he’d hold his chin in his hands to keep the bottom of his face from falling off. He coulda been a contender.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4715)