Mar 18, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Mat Gamel was already likely facing a demotion to start the season, but according to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, he’ll now spend at least six weeks recovering from a “slight” tear in his latissimus dorsi, the large muscle behind the right
Gamel originally suffered the injury early in camp, but he probably made it worse by returning to action too soon. Keep in mind that while he’ll be sidelined from baseball activity for six weeks, the timeline for him to return to game action will likely be longer.
“Then he has to get ready for games from there, so we could be talking
about closer to eight to nine weeks total before he’s 100 percent,”
Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said.
It’s a tough blow for Gamel, who similarly missed out an opportunity to impress the Brewers last spring due to a shoulder impingement. The 24-year-old started last season in the minors and was pretty underwhelming upon a promotion in May, batting just .242/.338/.422 with five homers and 20 RBI in 128 at-bats.
Because his bat has been considered more of an asset than his glove, the question has always been where he’ll fit in on defense. For now, Casey McGehee has the starting third base job in Milwaukee, blocking his path to the major leagues. Perhaps when Gamel returns, the Brewers will begin to entertain the idea of transitioning him to the outfield.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)