Is Buchholz finally ready to stick?

Mar 18, 2010, 10:55 PM EDT

buchholz-100318.jpgIs it possible? Is Clay Buchholz all “growsed” up?

It’s certainly sounding like it after another strong spring outing by the confident young right-hander. And with less competition in camp this spring, the 25-year-old has his mind set on finally earning a regular spot in Boston’s starting rotation.

[From MLB.com]

“Last year I sort of knew that I didn’t have a spot coming into Spring Training, because we had Smoltzie and BP in front of me,” Buchholz said. “So it was a little different. But at the same time, I’m preparing the same, going out and trying to do the things that I work on out of the game, and I’m trying to bring them into the game. So I feel the same. It’s the same goal to break camp with the team, and that’s going to remain my goal for the duration of Spring Training. But nothing really different about it.”

This sounds like a different Buchholz from the guy who admitted frustration at being stuck in the minors last season.

Instead, he sounds determined to win a starting spot for the long term and not just until Daisuke Matsuzaka returns to full health. Maybe he will finally get a chance to live up to the promise he showed so spectacularly with a no-hitter back in 2007.

And whether he sticks long term or not, it seems likely he’ll cease to be the constant subject of trade rumors. Unless, you know, a certain basher in the Pacific time zone becomes available. Then all bets are off.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. Richard - Mar 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM

The dice has been rolled out. Clay is THE MAN!

2. APBA Guy - Mar 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

As a guy with 4 + pitches, at this point it’s all about poise and execution. Between Beckett and now Lackey, he’s got two fellow Texans to school him.
    If you can’t win with that plus the Boston offense, it just wasn’t meant to be.
    But my guess is he has a very successful year, with a sub 4.00 ERA.

3. Kat - Mar 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM

What is funny, is everyone sort of assumes he will be number 4 and the real battle is between Wakefield and Dice K for number 5 until Clay himself points out the obvious, he still has options left and he is years away from being arbitration eligible. I think he needs to be up here because he has grown up so much and doesn’t look like a basketcase when he gives up a run any longer (I think the sports psychology, his wife and Victor Martinez are to be credited with that)

4. Big Harold - Mar 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Buckholz is a good young pitcher in need of a lot more development. Its funny when you hear the Nation talk about him as if he’s already a 20 game winner, .. a sure bet. This season will be critical for him in that first he will need to establish himself as a mainstay in the rotation. Additionally, and more importantly, he’ll prove his past success, limited as it has been, isn’t more the result his lack of exposire to hitters in the AL. Once the better hitters make adjustments to him will he be able to counter?
    Buchkholz can throw, the AL is about to find out if he can pitch.

5. Mike - Mar 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Man, I remember watching that no hitter, it was awesome. Was a lot of it luck? Oh yes. But it also showed his potential. I want him to do good, and each year his chances of doing good get better. Lets hope this is his year (again).

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5260)