Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said yesterday that he’s met with Adam Dunn’s agent about a contract extension since spring training started and described the talks as “amicable and upbeat”:
It’s something we think about all the time, and we’re discussing that. I hate to put any date restrictions on anything, because I don’t want to rush anything. I don’t want him to feel rushed, and we don’t want to feel rushed. If there’s a deal to be done here, we certainly have both sides that are willing participants.
Dunn is an impending free agent and has said previously that he doesn’t want contract talks to continue past Opening Day, but Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com suggests that the two sides could simply agree to the framework of a deal by then without making an official announcement.
Washington signed Dunn to a two-year, $20 million deal two winters ago and he hit .267/.398/.529 with 38 homers and 105 RBIs in 2009, topping 35 homers, 100 walks, and an .850 OPS for the sixth straight season. A similar contract seemingly makes sense because his value hasn’t changed since then, although perhaps the perception of his value has.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)