Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said yesterday that he’s met with Adam Dunn’s agent about a contract extension since spring training started and described the talks as “amicable and upbeat”:
It’s something we think about all the time, and we’re discussing that. I hate to put any date restrictions on anything, because I don’t want to rush anything. I don’t want him to feel rushed, and we don’t want to feel rushed. If there’s a deal to be done here, we certainly have both sides that are willing participants.
Dunn is an impending free agent and has said previously that he doesn’t want contract talks to continue past Opening Day, but Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com suggests that the two sides could simply agree to the framework of a deal by then without making an official announcement.
Washington signed Dunn to a two-year, $20 million deal two winters ago and he hit .267/.398/.529 with 38 homers and 105 RBIs in 2009, topping 35 homers, 100 walks, and an .850 OPS for the sixth straight season. A similar contract seemingly makes sense because his value hasn’t changed since then, although perhaps the perception of his value has.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)