Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said yesterday that he’s met with Adam Dunn’s agent about a contract extension since spring training started and described the talks as “amicable and upbeat”:
It’s something we think about all the time, and we’re discussing that. I hate to put any date restrictions on anything, because I don’t want to rush anything. I don’t want him to feel rushed, and we don’t want to feel rushed. If there’s a deal to be done here, we certainly have both sides that are willing participants.
Dunn is an impending free agent and has said previously that he doesn’t want contract talks to continue past Opening Day, but Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com suggests that the two sides could simply agree to the framework of a deal by then without making an official announcement.
Washington signed Dunn to a two-year, $20 million deal two winters ago and he hit .267/.398/.529 with 38 homers and 105 RBIs in 2009, topping 35 homers, 100 walks, and an .850 OPS for the sixth straight season. A similar contract seemingly makes sense because his value hasn’t changed since then, although perhaps the perception of his value has.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 5
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)