Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said yesterday that he’s met with Adam Dunn’s agent about a contract extension since spring training started and described the talks as “amicable and upbeat”:
It’s something we think about all the time, and we’re discussing that. I hate to put any date restrictions on anything, because I don’t want to rush anything. I don’t want him to feel rushed, and we don’t want to feel rushed. If there’s a deal to be done here, we certainly have both sides that are willing participants.
Dunn is an impending free agent and has said previously that he doesn’t want contract talks to continue past Opening Day, but Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com suggests that the two sides could simply agree to the framework of a deal by then without making an official announcement.
Washington signed Dunn to a two-year, $20 million deal two winters ago and he hit .267/.398/.529 with 38 homers and 105 RBIs in 2009, topping 35 homers, 100 walks, and an .850 OPS for the sixth straight season. A similar contract seemingly makes sense because his value hasn’t changed since then, although perhaps the perception of his value has.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)