Mar 18, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
As expected, Angel Guzman has opted for season-ending shoulder surgery after meeting with Dr. James Andrews earlier this week.
Guzman has a lengthy history of arm problems, including a previous Tommy John elbow surgery, and the latest injury is a significant ligament tear in his right shoulder. Andrews advised him to go under the knife rather than attempt to rehab the injury without surgery.
As for when he might be able to pitch again, Guzman wasn’t sure:
I don’t know how long it’s going to take. … Sometimes those doctors use language that is hard for me to understand. At least [Andrews] gave me hope. He said a lot of pitchers have had that surgery done before and have come back good.
It’s going to take more than that to keep me away. I have to keep my mind the way I’ve been doing, like last year. That’s the only thing I can control. … I don’t want, in two years, just thinking, “Why didn’t I do it?” I’d prefer to get it done now and see if I really can keep pitching.
Guzman emerged as a reliable setup man last season with a 2.95 ERA and .192 opponents’ batting average in 61 innings, and his injury reportedly has the Cubs in the market for additional relief help. At this point the best-case scenario for Guzman is probably a mid-2011 return.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)