Mar 18, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
As expected, Angel Guzman has opted for season-ending shoulder surgery after meeting with Dr. James Andrews earlier this week.
Guzman has a lengthy history of arm problems, including a previous Tommy John elbow surgery, and the latest injury is a significant ligament tear in his right shoulder. Andrews advised him to go under the knife rather than attempt to rehab the injury without surgery.
As for when he might be able to pitch again, Guzman wasn’t sure:
I don’t know how long it’s going to take. … Sometimes those doctors use language that is hard for me to understand. At least [Andrews] gave me hope. He said a lot of pitchers have had that surgery done before and have come back good.
It’s going to take more than that to keep me away. I have to keep my mind the way I’ve been doing, like last year. That’s the only thing I can control. … I don’t want, in two years, just thinking, “Why didn’t I do it?” I’d prefer to get it done now and see if I really can keep pitching.
Guzman emerged as a reliable setup man last season with a 2.95 ERA and .192 opponents’ batting average in 61 innings, and his injury reportedly has the Cubs in the market for additional relief help. At this point the best-case scenario for Guzman is probably a mid-2011 return.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)