Mar 18, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
Sky Kalkman at ESPN’s TMI blog (really?) has run the numbers, and thinks this is the optimal Yankees lineup for 2010:
1. Nick Johnson
2. Mark Teixeira
3. Curtis Granderson
4. Alex Rodriguez
5. Robinson Cano
6. Derek Jeter
7. Nick Swisher
8. Jorge Posada
9. Brett Gardner
My sources tell me that Mr. Kalkman has been placed in protective custody so that no small-ball lovers and/or Derek Jeter fanboys will be able to do him bodily harm for disrespecting their particular crushes so thoroughly and completely.
But everyone should really relax because we’ll never see that lineup. Joe Girardi is angling for a new contract this year. The only thing that would better ensure his departure than batting The Captain 6th would be turning heel, smacking John Sterling with a metal chair during an interview, and donning a Red Sox Mexican wrestling mask while making devil horns or something.
No, forget that. A lot of people would dig the whole hitting-Sterling-with-a-chair/devil horns thing. Batting Jeter 6th would be the ultimate career suicide.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 19
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 16
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)