Mar 18, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen, on Ron Washington testing positive for cocaine:
One thing about it, it ain’t going to happen to me, I guarantee you that. I grew up in some bad stuff, I know how that stuff is so bad. I support him. He made a mistake. I’m not saying he did the right thing, but in the meanwhile, we can’t turn our back against him. They know Major League Baseball isn’t playing around. They’re serious about it. As long as they don’t check for Vodka and Corona I’ll be fine.
In addition to being amusing that quote also brings up an interesting point. Washington tested positive for cocaine after what he claims was his first use in 57 years, and now has to go through counseling, treatment, and thrice-weekly drug tests. However, a manager is free to, as Ozzie put it, drink as much Vodka and Corona as they want and unless they have an alcohol-related incident no one knows or, punishment-wise, cares.
One thing is illegal and the other isn’t, which is obviously a very important distinction, but I’d certainly rather have my manager use cocaine once every 57 years rather than drink heavily on a regular basis. Of course, if you don’t buy that Washington tried cocaine for the first and only time in his entire life at age 57 … well, then it’s probably a moot point.
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed doomed? 0
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 5
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 20
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 5
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)