Mar 18, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen, on Ron Washington testing positive for cocaine:
One thing about it, it ain’t going to happen to me, I guarantee you that. I grew up in some bad stuff, I know how that stuff is so bad. I support him. He made a mistake. I’m not saying he did the right thing, but in the meanwhile, we can’t turn our back against him. They know Major League Baseball isn’t playing around. They’re serious about it. As long as they don’t check for Vodka and Corona I’ll be fine.
In addition to being amusing that quote also brings up an interesting point. Washington tested positive for cocaine after what he claims was his first use in 57 years, and now has to go through counseling, treatment, and thrice-weekly drug tests. However, a manager is free to, as Ozzie put it, drink as much Vodka and Corona as they want and unless they have an alcohol-related incident no one knows or, punishment-wise, cares.
One thing is illegal and the other isn’t, which is obviously a very important distinction, but I’d certainly rather have my manager use cocaine once every 57 years rather than drink heavily on a regular basis. Of course, if you don’t buy that Washington tried cocaine for the first and only time in his entire life at age 57 … well, then it’s probably a moot point.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)