Ozzie: 'As long as they don't check for Vodka and Corona I'll be fine'

Mar 18, 2010, 1:46 PM EST

Ozzie Guillen, on Ron Washington testing positive for cocaine:

One thing about it, it ain’t going to happen to me, I guarantee you that. I grew up in some bad stuff, I know how that stuff is so bad. I support him. He made a mistake. I’m not saying he did the right thing, but in the meanwhile, we can’t turn our back against him. They know Major League Baseball isn’t playing around. They’re serious about it. As long as they don’t check for Vodka and Corona I’ll be fine.

In addition to being amusing that quote also brings up an interesting point. Washington tested positive for cocaine after what he claims was his first use in 57 years, and now has to go through counseling, treatment, and thrice-weekly drug tests. However, a manager is free to, as Ozzie put it, drink as much Vodka and Corona as they want and unless they have an alcohol-related incident no one knows or, punishment-wise, cares.
One thing is illegal and the other isn’t, which is obviously a very important distinction, but I’d certainly rather have my manager use cocaine once every 57 years rather than drink heavily on a regular basis. Of course, if you don’t buy that Washington tried cocaine for the first and only time in his entire life at age 57 … well, then it’s probably a moot point.

1. Matt - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Just don’t stop in the middle of the road at a green light.
    Right, Tony?
    captcha: “Nathans New” – I’m downright terrified right now. Because Joe Nathan needs himself a new UCL.

2. YX - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The captcha let me down… being clicking refresh a couple minutes trying to find a alcohol related quote, nothing.
    This will have to do: “coolants wag”

3. YX - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

There we go: “have smoothie”

4. Big Harold - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

“… I’d certainly rather have my manager use cocaine once every 57 years rather than drink heavily on a regular basis.”
    I didn’t see where Guillen said anything about drinking heavily, .. or even regularly.

5. madhatters - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Mr. Gleeman, you’ve come to the heart of the conflict in the current illegal drug debate.
    What is worse a responsible stoner or Dante Stallworth; an off-season coke head or the weekly bender?

6. Dani in Katonah - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

It seems like this may be a case of “wait, I had one positive test – then yes, it was my first time ever. Oh, you checked a sample from 2 years ago, I meant to say second time ever… Do you have any more samples to check?”
    P.S.
    The Catcha looks like it wants to start a steamy sex novel
    “the scantily” _____________ fill in the rest.

7. d - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:58 PM

because alcohol is socially accepted than drugs. People who get caught DUI have more sympathy because many people have done it, feel stupid (or not) for doing it. While drug use in whatever form is frowned upon (I do not condone either)

8. Chris W - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM

“I’d certainly rather have my manager use cocaine once every 57 years rather than drink heavily on a regular basis.”

Really? Why? There are two things that make that claim kind of silly. 1.) MLB has a rich history of habitual drinkers having immense success as managers. If you look at a list of the top 10 managers of all time, basically everyone but Connie Mack is soaked in booze. And more importantly, 2.) The issue is probably less that cocaine impairs your ability to manage and more an issue of integrity. A drunk is not breaking the law (unless in the case of DUI which is dealt with accordingly), a man who uses cocaine deliberately steps outside the law.

Now frankly, I don’t really think cocaine should be illegal, nor do I think someone stepping outside the lines of esoteric law is a bad person for it, but from an owner’s standpoint, you can’t compare the two issues. Ownership is well within reason and logic to believe that using cocaine is a much more egregious offense than drinking regularly. Oh, and it’s against the rules of the league and to the extent that a manager has an impact on a team, the manager being suspended for cocaine use is hurting the team in a very tangible way as well.

9. Jonathan - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Alcohol vs. cocaine is another prime example of the social construction of the legal code.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2830)
  2. W. Myers (2589)
  3. D. Ross (2301)
  4. C. McGehee (2217)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2023)
  1. J. Shields (1932)