Ron Washington took greenies when he played

Mar 18, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

Not that it’s shocking or anything, but he did say so to ESPN’s Pedro Gomez today.

Washington’s cocaine use is obviously big news, but mining the man’s past like this seems of little utility. As Washington notes, “amphetamines were prevalent throughout baseball” during his tenure. More so than even cocaine. I suppose it’s one thing if someone finds out that he used to do lines with Stevie Nicks in the late 70s or something because that would show that he was being less then genuine yesterday, but a ballplayer doing greenies in the 70s and 80s is pretty much dog-bites-man, no?

Best thing from the ESPN article: Nolan Ryan’s description of his reaction:

“I was in total shock. Then I was mad. Then I was very disappointed. I went
through an array of emotions.” But after “a lot of soul-searching” Ryan said the club decided to allow Washington to remain as manager.

Anyone else have a hard time picturing Ryan going through an array of emotions and searching his soul?  I picture him leaning back in a chair, looking intensely and thoughtfully into the distance for approximately ten seconds, and then telling a team of subordinates — who live in mortal fear of the man — how things were gonna be.

1. Rays fan - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

“a ballplayer doing greenies in the 70s and 80s is pretty much dog-bites-man, no?”
    No, I mean yes, wait…what was the question?
    Yes, greeines appear to have been about as rare as dirt on the infield.
    Unfortunatley, due to all the commercials around here, the main way I picture Ryan anymore is on TV shilling for a foundation repair company.

2. Alex - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

“I was in total shock. Then I was mad. Then I was very disappointed. I went through an array of emotions”
    I see it more as he had that entire array of emotions in about 10 seconds and then it was over.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Can we get a Twitter rally, similar to the Nails Dykstra one… things that Ron Washington admitted to….

4. Scott - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I always liked Washington, wish he had played on the Colt .45’s.

5. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Mar 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

[regarding the range of emotions]No idea why, but I kept picturing the scene from the Simpsons when Marge has a gambling problem, and Homer says:

Homer: (to Marge) You promised Lisa to help her with her costume. You made her cry. Then I cried. Then Maggie laughed…she’s such a little trooper!

Oh yeah, probably because I watch too much damn TV. Opening Day needs to get here asap.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3328)