Mar 18, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Not that it’s shocking or anything, but he did say so to ESPN’s Pedro Gomez today.
Washington’s cocaine use is obviously big news, but mining the man’s past like this seems of little utility. As Washington notes, “amphetamines were prevalent throughout baseball” during his tenure. More so than even cocaine. I suppose it’s one thing if someone finds out that he used to do lines with Stevie Nicks in the late 70s or something because that would show that he was being less then genuine yesterday, but a ballplayer doing greenies in the 70s and 80s is pretty much dog-bites-man, no?
Best thing from the ESPN article: Nolan Ryan’s description of his reaction:
“I was in total shock. Then I was mad. Then I was very disappointed. I went
through an array of emotions.” But after “a lot of soul-searching” Ryan said the club decided to allow Washington to remain as manager.
Anyone else have a hard time picturing Ryan going through an array of emotions and searching his soul? I picture him leaning back in a chair, looking intensely and thoughtfully into the distance for approximately ten seconds, and then telling a team of subordinates — who live in mortal fear of the man — how things were gonna be.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 93
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (95)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)