Mar 18, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Not that it’s shocking or anything, but he did say so to ESPN’s Pedro Gomez today.
Washington’s cocaine use is obviously big news, but mining the man’s past like this seems of little utility. As Washington notes, “amphetamines were prevalent throughout baseball” during his tenure. More so than even cocaine. I suppose it’s one thing if someone finds out that he used to do lines with Stevie Nicks in the late 70s or something because that would show that he was being less then genuine yesterday, but a ballplayer doing greenies in the 70s and 80s is pretty much dog-bites-man, no?
Best thing from the ESPN article: Nolan Ryan’s description of his reaction:
“I was in total shock. Then I was mad. Then I was very disappointed. I went
through an array of emotions.” But after “a lot of soul-searching” Ryan said the club decided to allow Washington to remain as manager.
Anyone else have a hard time picturing Ryan going through an array of emotions and searching his soul? I picture him leaning back in a chair, looking intensely and thoughtfully into the distance for approximately ten seconds, and then telling a team of subordinates — who live in mortal fear of the man — how things were gonna be.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)