Mar 18, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Not that it’s shocking or anything, but he did say so to ESPN’s Pedro Gomez today.
Washington’s cocaine use is obviously big news, but mining the man’s past like this seems of little utility. As Washington notes, “amphetamines were prevalent throughout baseball” during his tenure. More so than even cocaine. I suppose it’s one thing if someone finds out that he used to do lines with Stevie Nicks in the late 70s or something because that would show that he was being less then genuine yesterday, but a ballplayer doing greenies in the 70s and 80s is pretty much dog-bites-man, no?
Best thing from the ESPN article: Nolan Ryan’s description of his reaction:
“I was in total shock. Then I was mad. Then I was very disappointed. I went
through an array of emotions.” But after “a lot of soul-searching” Ryan said the club decided to allow Washington to remain as manager.
Anyone else have a hard time picturing Ryan going through an array of emotions and searching his soul? I picture him leaning back in a chair, looking intensely and thoughtfully into the distance for approximately ten seconds, and then telling a team of subordinates — who live in mortal fear of the man — how things were gonna be.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)