Mar 18, 2010, 9:29 AM EST
I had some fun tweaking fans of small market teams with that scout’s quote about the Yankees and Joe Mauer yesterday, but RAB’s Joe Pawlikowski is having none of that:
As it stands, the Yankees have $144 million locked into the 2011 payroll before they work out contracts for Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. They’ll also have arbitration cases for Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes. In other words, they could be near $185 million for just 13 players — and that doesn’t include Javy Vazquez or Andy Pettitte. At that point they’d probably need at least one starting pitcher. Other needs could crop up during the season, including left field.
In light of that, Joe says, and in light of the fact that they’ll still have Jorge Posada under contract and have no fewer than four catchers in their system who could succeed him, why on earth would the Yankees commit $200 million or whatever it is to Mauer?
And I think he’s right. I know many of you will scoff at the notion of the Yankees having a budget, but they do apparently have one now. And even if it’s a budget so large as to make the term close to meaningless, the Yankees have shown these past few years that they’re not going to sign a guy just to sign a guy. They’ll sign for need — look for Carl Crawford in the Bronx next year, and there’s always room for another pitcher — but they won’t triple or quadruple up on something they already have.
Most likely scenario: Mauer stays in Minnesota. If not: the Yankees feign interest in order to annoy the Red Sox or Mets or whoever, but ultimately don’t bite on Joe Mauer.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)