Tracy Ringolsby accuses Rangers of a "cover-up"

Mar 18, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT

A less-than-intellectually-inspired Tracy Ringlosby column today about Ron Washington
and the Rangers [I've deleted Ringolsby's unnecessary paragraph breaks
because I think readability is more important than faux drama]:

Washington is an engaging personality. He has developed a strong bond
with the Rangers players in his three years on the job. He’s even won
over most of the critics he once faced in the Dallas-Fort Worth media
because of his straightforward approach. But some things can’t be
ignored. Washington crossed that line last July when he dabbled with
cocaine. Washington and the Rangers tried to cover it up. They could
not, however, hide it forever. And it finally came out on Wednesday . .
. Face it, there was enough concern over what Washington did that the
manager and the team tried to hide it. They were exposed this week and
tried to put on a happy face. It’s called whistling in the dark.

Was this really a “cover-up”?  Because from where I’m sitting, it was a
situation in which an employee’s drug test results were kept in-house.
Which is exactly what should be done with employee drug tests. Indeed, model
federal drug-free workplace guidelines
set forth pretty strict
confidentiality rules for this sort of thing absent express written
consent by the employee to the contrary (which is why PED results are released for players).  For their part, the Rangers
can do whatever they want with this stuff, but I’m guessing that they
don’t have an “issue press release when drug test results come back”
policy. Nor should they.

But hey, maybe Ringolsby has a point here. To prove it, I’m going to go
ask FOX and whatever bankruptcy receiver has possession of the Rocky
Mountain News’ old files for copies of Ringolsby’s employee drug tests
dating back to, oh, 1978 or so.  I’ll let you know if I get them. Or if,
as was the case with Ron Washington, a cover-up is afoot.

1. Cru11 - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Quick question. Why in the hell was my comment deleted for being “racist” on the primary Washington-Cocaine story?? All I said was Colt. 45 kinda guy? How does that qualify as racist? I’ve seen 10 times worse stuff on here and it gets to stay. You sounded like my dad when I was in the 6th grade for crying out loud.

2. ctm - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I know what you mean. My dad tried to keep me from becoming racist when I was in sixth grade, too. Luckily for us, we both persisted and now are adult racists who automatically associate all criticisms of our racist comments with our own daddy-issues.

3. Cru11 - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

No, no CTM. You’ve got it all wrong. Did you even Craigs response to my initial post? He said something along the lines of “we don’t need that crap around here.” Thats what sounded like my dad so before you use all of your wit, Id suggest that you read the posts.

4. Cru11 - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM

No, no ctm. Nice try though. Did you even read Craigs response to my initial post? He said something along the line of “we dont need that crap around here.” Thats what reminded me of my dad. I suggest you read the posts before using all of your wit.

5. Scott - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Why am I not surprised that Craig would be the type to see racism in even the most innocuous comment?

6. EShine - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

So Cru11, do you and Fuzzy Zoeller hang out and make stereotypical remarks about others that aren’t racist?

7. EShine - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Seriously, you should dig into Riglosby’s past drug tests. What a joke that claim is.

8. Cru11 - Mar 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Eshine, what the hell are you talking about? Nice Zoeller comment, did you borrow that via ctm?

9. PRHEA - Mar 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Ringolsby is a hall of famer. he is a cowboy. he knows everything about the colorado rockies. he is the man. make him write about other stuff, and he struggles. too bad the RMN went under, cuz he could talk rockies all day. he named matt belisle the rox sleeper closer candidate. the man can pitch. he closed in AAA and pitched incredible last fall into the playoffs. we have no huston and it is not a problem

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)