Mar 19, 2010, 1:16 PM EST
A profile of Davey Johnson in today’s Baltimore Sun. Gotta love Davey, so it’s definitely worth a read.
Johnson, as you probably know, is now a special assistant to Nats’ GM Mike Rizzo. And unlike so many special assistant jobs out there, his isn’t about glad-handing season ticket holders and stuff — he’s actually contributing substantively. I can’t seem to find it right now, but a few weeks ago it was reported that Johnson is Ian Desmond’s primary champion in NatsLand, and has made it clear to everyone that the kid is too valuable to be used as a super-ute, which is what some have suggested. Whether he has the kind of juice to get Desmond made a starter is an open question, but it’s good that someone has the kid’s back.
I’d be curious to know what kind of input, if any, Johnson had on the Elijah Dukes release. Johnson is no stranger to, how shall I put it, challenging players, so you might expect that if anyone was going to defend the head case it would be him. Then again, maybe Johnson was a primary driver: “Dudes! I know head cases, and this guy is beyond the pale. 86-him!”
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)