Mar 19, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT
Francoeur says he never learned how to steal bases with the Braves,
explaining that it wasn’t part of Atlanta’s offensive philosophy. But
it is part of Manuel’s plans. So this spring he’s told Francoeur he
wants him to run more, and now the Mets right fielder is trying to
Francoeur is 15 for 30 career in stolen bases. He’s right that stealing was never anything he was asked to do in Atlanta, so I suppose it’s possible that he could do it if he works at it a bit.
But isn’t it also possible that, since running was never part of the Braves’ strategy, his opportunities to do so as a Brave came in only the safest situations (e.g. against horrible throwing catchers and in really favorable hitter’s counts)? If so, couldn’t that mean that he’s an even worse base stealer than that not-acceptable 50% success rate suggests? Chipper Jones isn’t any faster than Francoeur and he’s a career 76% base stealer. Andruw Jones is 71%. Marcus Giles 73%. We’re obviously not dealing with tremendously large sample sizes here, but I think don’t think we can say that Francoeur’s 50% caught stealing rate is meaningless simply because the Braves run less than everyone else.
More generally, and not to put too fine a point on it, it strikes me that you’d want to keep the game as simple as possible for Jeff Francoeur. Trying to teach him some plate discipline should be priority number one, but beyond that, let the dude just try to hit it as hard as he can and hope for the best.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)