Home Run Derby in 3D?

Mar 19, 2010, 5:45 PM EST

Maury Brown reports that the 2010 Home Run Derby will be televised in 3D:

“We are always looking for ways to augment the viewing experience for
fans watching MLB telecasts,” said Chris Tully, Major League Baseball
Senior Vice President, Broadcasting.  “The State Farm Home Run Derby is
a unique event for a 3D telecast since it has all of the prestige of an
MLB Jewel Event and the event’s format allows for more creativity in
how it is shot for television.”

I’m an old, frightened and confused man, so maybe someone who actually pays attention to technology can explain to me how 3D will enhance an event that shows us near-static pictures of baseballs flying over a fence.  Wouldn’t an event that actually has a lot of moving parts and changing backgrounds — like, say, football — be a better subject for the 3D treatment?

1. Matt @ Fack Youk - Mar 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM

The prospect of Chris Berman calling this 3D telecast scares me. A lot.

2. frug - Mar 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM

A couple years ago they did broadcast the BCS Championship Game in 3D in theaters around the country and from what I have heard it was really cool.
    That said…
    This just seems dumb. How in the world is 3D going to enhance seeing hitters watch pitch after pitch go by? If I were to invest in a 3D TV I would expect better content than this.
    In a semi-related (but not really)story, former Braves’ owner Ted “Let’s colorize Citizen Kane” Turner’s former company WB has just announced that starting in 2011 all it’s tentpole films will be released in 3D even if they are not shot in it.
    I have no problem with 3D, but come on.

3. carlos - Mar 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I’m sick of 3d. Can the media obsess over something else?
    Here’s a better idea, put more than one baseball game a week on regular television, so the common man can actually see a few more teams than yanks/sox.

4. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Mar 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I’m with Carlos on this one.
    Getting just one game a week on FOX is ridiculous. It’s become too expensive to watch baseball on television anymore.
    Even the “basic” cable package that would snare me TBS and ESPN for a few extra games a week would run me about $50/month.
    It’s just ridiculous.

5. Old Gator - Mar 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Oh no! That ball is coming right at me!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5105)