Mar 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Jim Reeves of ESPNDallas asked this question yesterday in the wake of Ron Washington’s cocaine revelation:
This begs the question: How can Washington manage others when he can’t manage himself?
The Common Man answers that question with his typical thoroughness. Your must-read of the day.
I’m not condoning Washington’s behavior or anything, but if you’re going to tut-tut it you should at least have a sense of where the transgression falls on the continuum of poor managerial behavior. Booze killed Billy Martin’s career and then literally killed him. Washington may have partied like a rock star in his Anaheim hotel room, but Tony La Russa got behind the wheel of a car after drinking. Perspective people.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)