Mar 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Jim Reeves of ESPNDallas asked this question yesterday in the wake of Ron Washington’s cocaine revelation:
This begs the question: How can Washington manage others when he can’t manage himself?
The Common Man answers that question with his typical thoroughness. Your must-read of the day.
I’m not condoning Washington’s behavior or anything, but if you’re going to tut-tut it you should at least have a sense of where the transgression falls on the continuum of poor managerial behavior. Booze killed Billy Martin’s career and then literally killed him. Washington may have partied like a rock star in his Anaheim hotel room, but Tony La Russa got behind the wheel of a car after drinking. Perspective people.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)