Mar 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Jim Reeves of ESPNDallas asked this question yesterday in the wake of Ron Washington’s cocaine revelation:
This begs the question: How can Washington manage others when he can’t manage himself?
The Common Man answers that question with his typical thoroughness. Your must-read of the day.
I’m not condoning Washington’s behavior or anything, but if you’re going to tut-tut it you should at least have a sense of where the transgression falls on the continuum of poor managerial behavior. Booze killed Billy Martin’s career and then literally killed him. Washington may have partied like a rock star in his Anaheim hotel room, but Tony La Russa got behind the wheel of a car after drinking. Perspective people.
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 26
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)