Mar 19, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
Update: Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that Lee has a right lower abdominal strain. He was treated in Seattle on Friday be team doctor Edward Khalfayan. Lee underwent an ultra-sound exam and was given a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection.
He’s scheduled to be re-evaluated in one week, but as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes, “you can forget about week one.”
6:33 pm: Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Cliff Lee has left the Mariners and boarded a plane to Seattle, possibly for medical reasons.
The Mariners had no comment on the reason for Lee’s departure, othen than to say that it wasn’t a personal matter. The lack of comment suggests that it’s not related to his recent suspension for throwing at the Diamondbacks’ Chris Snyder.
Lee had foot surgery last month, but he’s returned to make two starts already this spring and he was on track to start Seattle’s second game of the season. Baker speculates that this may be nothing more than a checkup for the foot. If it’s something more serious, we’ll probably know more within the next few hours.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)