Mar 19, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
Update: Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that Lee has a right lower abdominal strain. He was treated in Seattle on Friday be team doctor Edward Khalfayan. Lee underwent an ultra-sound exam and was given a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection.
He’s scheduled to be re-evaluated in one week, but as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes, “you can forget about week one.”
6:33 pm: Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Cliff Lee has left the Mariners and boarded a plane to Seattle, possibly for medical reasons.
The Mariners had no comment on the reason for Lee’s departure, othen than to say that it wasn’t a personal matter. The lack of comment suggests that it’s not related to his recent suspension for throwing at the Diamondbacks’ Chris Snyder.
Lee had foot surgery last month, but he’s returned to make two starts already this spring and he was on track to start Seattle’s second game of the season. Baker speculates that this may be nothing more than a checkup for the foot. If it’s something more serious, we’ll probably know more within the next few hours.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 31
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)