Mar 19, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
Update: Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that Lee has a right lower abdominal strain. He was treated in Seattle on Friday be team doctor Edward Khalfayan. Lee underwent an ultra-sound exam and was given a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection.
He’s scheduled to be re-evaluated in one week, but as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes, “you can forget about week one.”
6:33 pm: Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Cliff Lee has left the Mariners and boarded a plane to Seattle, possibly for medical reasons.
The Mariners had no comment on the reason for Lee’s departure, othen than to say that it wasn’t a personal matter. The lack of comment suggests that it’s not related to his recent suspension for throwing at the Diamondbacks’ Chris Snyder.
Lee had foot surgery last month, but he’s returned to make two starts already this spring and he was on track to start Seattle’s second game of the season. Baker speculates that this may be nothing more than a checkup for the foot. If it’s something more serious, we’ll probably know more within the next few hours.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)