Mar 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
I had never heard the name Sammy Gervacio until I read this article in the Houston Chronicle this morning, but now I really want to see him pitch:
glare, the high leg kick, the delivery from an arm angle somewhere
below three quarters and the high black socks apparently didn’t make
Sammy Gervacio stand out enough on the mound. So he added more . . . The
righthander holds the ball out with his pitching hand, stares at it for
a pronounced second, then translates his stare in an equally
exaggerated manner toward the plate.
Ever since someone gave me some quickie photo-biography of Mark Fidrych when I was a lad I have enjoyed and endorsed any and all weirdness on the mound. I liked Gene Garber turning around towards second base on his windup. Hideo Nomo’s shtick always made me smile. Submarine pitchers are one of the few things that are pure and good in the universe. I was happy when Paul Byrd started with that 1940s-style double windup thing. I like Pat Neshek’s herky-jerky whatever it is he does.
A pitcher who stares down the ball and the batter had better be good because if he’s not he’s going to get his butt kicked by someone eventually, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)