Mar 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
I had never heard the name Sammy Gervacio until I read this article in the Houston Chronicle this morning, but now I really want to see him pitch:
glare, the high leg kick, the delivery from an arm angle somewhere
below three quarters and the high black socks apparently didn’t make
Sammy Gervacio stand out enough on the mound. So he added more . . . The
righthander holds the ball out with his pitching hand, stares at it for
a pronounced second, then translates his stare in an equally
exaggerated manner toward the plate.
Ever since someone gave me some quickie photo-biography of Mark Fidrych when I was a lad I have enjoyed and endorsed any and all weirdness on the mound. I liked Gene Garber turning around towards second base on his windup. Hideo Nomo’s shtick always made me smile. Submarine pitchers are one of the few things that are pure and good in the universe. I was happy when Paul Byrd started with that 1940s-style double windup thing. I like Pat Neshek’s herky-jerky whatever it is he does.
A pitcher who stares down the ball and the batter had better be good because if he’s not he’s going to get his butt kicked by someone eventually, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)