Mar 19, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
Joe Nathan is going to try and throw this weekend and obviously everyone hopes he’ll be OK. But let’s be honest: not many pitchers can throw with torn torn ligaments in their elbow and the chances of Nathan being the Twins’ closer this year are slim. Minnesota needs to look at other options. And according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale they’re doing so. Specifically, they’re scouting the Padres’ Heath Bell.
Bell is one of the best closers in the National League — 42 saves; 79Ks in 69 IP, 2.71 ERA in 2009 — and at $4 million this year, something of a bargain for a man of his talents. He also has closer’s facial hair, and that’s just not the kind of thing that can be taught.
Given how much the Twins have done to improve this offseason, the new ballpark and the fact that the AL Central is totally, totally winable, you have to think that they’re not going to want to give the closer’s job to, say, Jon Rauch, if it’s avoidable.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (116)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)