Mar 19, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Tommy Hunter was scratched from yesterday’s scheduled start after straining his left oblique during pregame warmups:
I was feeling strong in the bullpen. Throwing great. I was spotting a perfect game, a no-hitter in the bullpen. Then I went, “Oh poop,” and said all kinds of choice words.
Right, like “oh poop.”
Hunter and his filthy mouth had been the favorites for the Rangers’ fourth-starter gig, but now he’s expected to be sidelined for at least two weeks and oblique strains often linger beyond the initial recovery timetables.
Assistant general manager Thad Levine gave Hunter merely “an outside chance” of being ready for his first scheduled turn in the rotation on April 9 against the Mariners, likely leaving either C.J. Wilson or Matt Harrison to fill in. Wilson is trying a move to the rotation after five years in the bullpen and Harrison is coming back from surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)