Vin Scully: sorry for falling!

Mar 19, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT

Vin Scully’s statement upon being released from the hospital today:

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and prayers and I apologize for any concern that I caused. Most importantly, I’m looking forward to Sunday’s game, my first of the Spring. Thank you and see you at the Stadium!

Vin Scully falls and hurts himself and apologizes to us. Ernie Harwell gets inoperable cancer and constantly comforts all of us over his impending death. If it had happened to them, Baby Boomers would have been filing lawsuits and people my age and younger would be writing 10,000 word blog posts about how the experience made us feel on a deep, personal level.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m beginning to buy into this Greatest Generation stuff just a wee little bit.

1. Phil - Mar 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Do blanket stereotypes much, Craig? You are one of the best and the reason I come here daily but this is so beneath you (and don’t get me started on the Greatest Generation crap).

2. YankeesfanLen - Mar 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM

The biggest loss to the Universe was when Vin didn’t come back in ’62. He’s worth the XM extortion.
    Captcha: demurred storm

3. RicharDInDallas - Mar 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Circumstances notwithstanding, how comforting is it to hear Vin’s voice in you ead when you read words attributed to him? It’s only two weeks and three days, but I’m not sure I can wait!!!

4. APBA Guy - Mar 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Well, I’m not sure I buy the WWII guys as greater than the Founders, but their values seem more and more estimable the older I get and the less regard I have for all the self-indulgence we see on display almost everywhere today.

5. GusStone - Mar 19, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You know what…this is why we did this…
    The FB page is full of a growing wave of Dodger fans planning a spontaneous bottom of 4th inning tribute at ALL Dodger Home games in 2010; honoring Vinny’s 60 years with The Dodgers. Join Us! (532 fans in 48 hours ~ we want 1,000 by Monday 3/22).
    The more people that are on this the more that will show up and the more likely the wave will continue….
    The news and media is following the story now…join us won’t you?

6. Grant - Mar 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Craig’s tongue is obviously firmly in his cheek.

7. Old Gator - Mar 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I have an ingrown toenail and it’s all your fault, Craig. Yours and everybody else’s.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto