Mar 20, 2010, 6:03 PM EDT
According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Bobby Jenks was scratched from a scheduled appearance in Saturday’s spring game after an MRI on his left calf revealed some mild irritation.
It’s not a major issue — Jenks should be fine by the start of the regular season if he recovers properly — but the calf irritation will probably haunt him again at some point this season and the White Sox have already flirted with the idea of replacing him at closer.
Matt Thornton had a 2.74 ERA and 1.08 WHIP last season and is an option to take over ninth-inning duties. As is J.J. Putz, who has 103 career saves and at one point finished 40 victories for the Mariners.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (118)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)