Mar 20, 2010, 6:03 PM EST
According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Bobby Jenks was scratched from a scheduled appearance in Saturday’s spring game after an MRI on his left calf revealed some mild irritation.
It’s not a major issue — Jenks should be fine by the start of the regular season if he recovers properly — but the calf irritation will probably haunt him again at some point this season and the White Sox have already flirted with the idea of replacing him at closer.
Matt Thornton had a 2.74 ERA and 1.08 WHIP last season and is an option to take over ninth-inning duties. As is J.J. Putz, who has 103 career saves and at one point finished 40 victories for the Mariners.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)