Mar 21, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
Daisuke Matsuzaka, who has been slowed in camp by a sore neck and back, is scheduled to make his Grapefruit League debut against the Marlins on Thursday (according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal).
Dice-K has been limited to games of catch and bullpen sessions as the Red Sox ease him back to full strength. He won’t be ready for the start of the regular season, but there is some hope that we’ll see him in a Boston uniform by the end of April. The right-hander had an ugly 5.76 ERA and 1.87 WHIP in 12 starts last season and battled Red Sox management over conditioning and rehabilitation issues.
Matsuzaka signed a six-year, $52 million deal with club back in February of 2007.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)