Mar 21, 2010, 6:13 PM EST
Matt Holliday has been sidelined since March 9 with a with an intercostal strain on his right side. He was supposed to return to action last Thursday, but didn’t. He was supposed to return this weekend, but again he did not.
Well, according to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Holliday will be in the lineup for Monday’s spring exhibition game against the Red Sox and may even play left field. The slugger, who signed a seven-year, $120 million contract extension this winter, participated in intensive batting practice and base-running drills on Saturday and Sunday and was deemed ready for live games by the Cardinals’ medical staff. He told the Post-Dispatch that he will only require 20-to-30 at-bats to get his timing right for the regular season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)