Mar 22, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Pujols went for an MRI exam this afternoon and also had an anti-inflammatory shot in his sore lower back, so he may be out for most of the week.
Albert Pujols was scratched from this afternoon’s lineup with what MLB.com’s Matthew Leach calls “a recurrence of tightness in his lower back.”
No one seems to think Pujols’ back problems are very serious, but given that the injury sidelined him for most of last week and has now caused him to go in and out of the lineup a couple times this spring the situation is certainly worth watching.
Of course, as recently as Friday he felt good enough to smack his first homer of the spring (and first homer, period, since September 9).
The good news for the Cardinals is that Matt Holliday is back in the lineup after being sidelined last week by a strained rib cage.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)