Mar 22, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Pujols went for an MRI exam this afternoon and also had an anti-inflammatory shot in his sore lower back, so he may be out for most of the week.
Albert Pujols was scratched from this afternoon’s lineup with what MLB.com’s Matthew Leach calls “a recurrence of tightness in his lower back.”
No one seems to think Pujols’ back problems are very serious, but given that the injury sidelined him for most of last week and has now caused him to go in and out of the lineup a couple times this spring the situation is certainly worth watching.
Of course, as recently as Friday he felt good enough to smack his first homer of the spring (and first homer, period, since September 9).
The good news for the Cardinals is that Matt Holliday is back in the lineup after being sidelined last week by a strained rib cage.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)