Mar 22, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com suggests that the Yankees could soon make a move with right-hander Chad Gaudin, who has struggled to an 8.68 ERA in 9 1/3 innings this spring.
Gaudin, who turns 27 later this week, agreed to a one-year, $2.95 million contract in January, however like teammate Sergio Mitre, who inked a one-year, $850,000 contract with the club, his deal is non-guaranteed.
This means the Yankees could cut either pitcher without being responsible for their 2010 salary. (Correction: That’s not exactly true. Rosenthal adds that the Yankees would owe Gaudin one-fourth of his 2010 salary, or $737,500. I’d think this would increase the chance that the Yankees will look for a trade partner.) While Gaudin has struggled during exhibition action, Mitre has been very solid, posting a 3.21 ERA and 14/3 K/BB ratio in 14 innings. Both were in the running for a rotation spot, but it’s becoming pretty clear that they are more likely to hang on as a long reliever or spot starter, if at all.
While Gaudin has a fantastic shot to win with the Bombers, he’d be able to start every fifth day for any number of teams. I’ll throw the Mets, Dodgers and Mariners out there as early possibilities if he’s cut loose.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires