Mar 22, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com suggests that the Yankees could soon make a move with right-hander Chad Gaudin, who has struggled to an 8.68 ERA in 9 1/3 innings this spring.
Gaudin, who turns 27 later this week, agreed to a one-year, $2.95 million contract in January, however like teammate Sergio Mitre, who inked a one-year, $850,000 contract with the club, his deal is non-guaranteed.
This means the Yankees could cut either pitcher without being responsible for their 2010 salary. (Correction: That’s not exactly true. Rosenthal adds that the Yankees would owe Gaudin one-fourth of his 2010 salary, or $737,500. I’d think this would increase the chance that the Yankees will look for a trade partner.) While Gaudin has struggled during exhibition action, Mitre has been very solid, posting a 3.21 ERA and 14/3 K/BB ratio in 14 innings. Both were in the running for a rotation spot, but it’s becoming pretty clear that they are more likely to hang on as a long reliever or spot starter, if at all.
While Gaudin has a fantastic shot to win with the Bombers, he’d be able to start every fifth day for any number of teams. I’ll throw the Mets, Dodgers and Mariners out there as early possibilities if he’s cut loose.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)