Is Jim Edmonds going to retire?

Mar 22, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

FanHouse’s Ed Price reports that Jim Edmonds is surprisingly lukewarm about being a backup outfielder for the Brewers this year.

Edmonds says “some days, driving in, I think [WTF?]” and questions whether the backup job is enough to keep him playing. He rebuffs the suggestion that he’s playing the game because he loves it, saying that it’s a job. He goes on and on about how nice it was going to the beach with his family last summer when he wasn’t playing and wonders, as he’s shagging flies in camp, why he’s not on the beach right now. He says “if the role kind of diminishes, then
I feel like I can just walk away. If it stays true to what they said
and I get a chance to play a lot, then I’m all for it. We’ll see how it
goes.”

Doesn’t sound much to me like a guy who will be playing in Milwaukee this summer.

1. YX - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Yeah, WTF Jim Edmonds, go enjoy your beach.

2. BC - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Why don’t the Mets grab him and let him start until Beltran is back. He’s got to be better than Gary Matthews Jr.

3. Levi Stahl - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

That would make me sad: Jimmy’s one of my all-time favorites, and I had really looked forward to seeing him again, even just a couple of times.

4. Ted - Mar 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I really think he wanted to come back and play for the Cardinals this year, when that didn’t happen he decided that maybe he could play for anyone. Now I think he might be regretting his choice to simply come back to play.

5. GBSimons - Mar 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM

While I don’t think Edmonds is a Hall of Famer, he’s a lot closer than most people probably think. He is/was quite talented on both offense and defiense, and I enjoyed watching him play, even if he did showboat sometimes.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2894)