Mar 22, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT
Cito Gaston announced that Shaun Marcum will be the Blue Jays’ Opening Day starter, which is noteworthy given that he missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery.
Roy Halladay started each of the past seven Opening Days for the Blue Jays, but he’ll be taking the mound for the Phillies in Game 1 this season and with 64 career starts Marcum actually has the most experience in Toronto’s post-Halladay rotation.
He’ll face the Rangers on April 5, and as Ed Price of Fanhouse points out Marcum may not be the only Opening Day starter who didn’t throw a pitch in 2009 if Ben Sheets of the A’s or Jake Westbrook of the Indians get the nod as well.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com notes that as of now Carl Pavano for the Yankees in 2007 and Scott Erickson for the Orioles in 2002 are the only pitchers since 2000 to start on Opening Day after missing all of the previous season. Pavano and Erickson combined to win just six games in those two seasons, so hopefully things go a little better for Marcum.
In those 64 career starts he’s 23-15 with a 3.85 ERA and 277/121 K/BB ratio in 362.2 innings.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)